44 pin IDC to J1E1 Hard Drive SATA Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

bglazier

Beta member
Hi there,
I am just pondering here and there's not too much real application to this question.
I realize that inside the casing of an Xbox 360 HD the connector is from a standard 2.5" 44-Pin laptop HD to the 14 Pin SATA connector that plugs into the xbox itself (Correct me if I am wrong). So my question is how exactly does it work? Say for instance I wanted to make one of these connectors, what process would I have to take to make the conversion?
The pin diagrams are as follows:
Xbox 360
From 7-1 Left to right on top as in 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
From 14-8 Left to right on bottom 14 13 12 11 10 9 8
1 GND 8 GND
2 A+ 9 GND
3 A- 10 GND
4 GND 11 +5 VDC
5 B- 12 +5 VDC
6 B+ 13 +5 VDC
7 GND 14 +5 VDC (standby)

Then the laptop hard drive pins are as the diagram shows below:

ide44pinout.gif

Looking for any input, maybe resources that I could look at to get a better understanding of how exactly these things work.

Thank you very much!

You would be better off to buy a $10 connector, but, why bother when the Xbox will only take specific model drives, with them all being SATA?

Unless something has changed, they are all SATA, I haven't seen anything about the drives/interface being the older PATA...

The Xbox 360 uses all SATA drives, inside the Xbox 360 HDD unit there is a SATA laptop hard drive with a simple SATA cord going to the plug (no SATA to IDE conversion, it's all SATA). Inside the 360, the custom DVD drive is also SATA interfaced, although it has a nonstandard power connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom