Minecraft server?

I really like the idea of a minecraft server, I havent really played it since June last year, this would get me back into playing it a bit more, sounds great, PP. :D

The server build I'm working on will need a few more weeks before we go public. I have permissions, ranks, in-game titles, and a lot of other fundamental things already done and ready. I still have a lot left to do.

Eventually we will be running Towny, with an economy, and anti-grief measures like Logblock or Prism. A few people are currently working on building a server mall and a player-mall where players can setup shops or sell and buy to the server-mall for pretty much any in-game item or block.

I will be recruiting builders over the next week or so to get a community building project started for the spawn. After these things are done I plan on doing a lot of photoshop work as well as building a website for the community.

Last edited:
This is the whole reason most people with common sense would configure a server on a cheap host then as marketing begins up the ante or slowly gain traffic over time and slowly upgrade over time.

Starting out with a whopper server sets the expectation that you're going to have a whopper crowd. But that's never the case.
It's cheaper to take advantage of somebody offering for free then up the ante if necessary. In the case of TF anyways. I mean, any kid wanting to do such a thing will Google Minecraft hosting and the first thing that pops up is this site and look at those prices per month. 80 players for freakin 55 bucks a month dude. Any person that has a capable machine and little players could forgo all of their rate plans right then and there. I'm offering up to 100 or so players before asking a 50c per person that could up that to 300 or 600 players. These guys are running less hardware per blade than me and offer 1Gb which I could IF the playerbase was high enough. But 55 for 80 player, when I'm offering for FREE up to 100 just because I'm nice and bored. Sure, this doesn't equate to the entire Minecraft playerbase but **** man 7.49 for for 20 players. I could grab a cheap *** machine off CL or in the dumpster behind a big business that would handle 40 players and one or two months worth of hosting cost would upgrade the RAM easy. I suppose if the person doesn't have the internet bandwidth readily available it's their only choice but hey, I have it. Anybody with common sense would take advantage of the opportunity.

I just asked my friend I mentioned earlier and he said he could have a server up in less than 30 minutes ready for 300 people lol. I know he plays the game so it's modded but idk the extent as I'm not a Minecraft player. I'd say combined we have a small database worth of hardware to put toward this. I know he has 6 blade servers now, and I have 3 incoming each 2P capable with up to 128GB of RAM capable. We get this stuff at a huge discount so possibilities are endless if somebody wanted to take advantage of it.

I just asked my friend I mentioned earlier and he said he could have a server up in less than 30 minutes ready for 300 people lol

That would be a very generic server - the kind of servers that populate the bottom 80% of typical servers that currently saturate the market.

Hell with a simple license of TCadmin it automates installation of MC and MCMA. You click a button and you're ready for however many people on a generic install.

It also goes to mention that a lot of consumer-grade ISPs only provide services on the terms that you aren't using their service as a service to others. My ISP prohibits me from using a server at my household. I would need a business-grade account and be bound to contract and pay higher costs for a lower bandwidth connection to not be legally liable.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of a minecraft server, I havent really played it since June last year, this would get me back into playing it a bit more, sounds great, PP. :D
Least there's some positivity here lol. I mean what's better than somebody saying here, I'll lend you this expensive hardware and net connection to make a server. Have fun.

That would be a very generic server - the kind of servers that populate the bottom 80% of typical servers that currently saturate the market.

Hell with a simple license of TCadmin it automates installation of MC and MCMA. You click a button and you're ready for however many people on a generic install.
His stuff isn't vanilla. He already has it setup just we installed an IBM rack in his office so we'd need to move over the blade and run cable to it. That's what would take about 30 minutes. Again, idk the extent of it but the software has been done for a while now.

Edit: I feel as though you're trying to make this a competition when it's not. It's a simple gesture for people who want to play the game, not see how complex they can make their ****. I mean with what's available they can, but this isn't that. If you want to advertise what you're doing that's fine, just don't **** on my thread and gesture dude.

Last edited:
Least there's some positivity here lol. I mean what's better than somebody saying here, I'll lend you this expensive hardware and net connection to make a server. Have fun.

I wouldn't know where to start.
Paranormal seems to be sh**ing on your idea here, chill paranormal. PP is doing a nice gesture here...

Last edited:
I wouldn't know where to start.
Paranormal seems to be sh**ing on your idea here, chill paranormal. PP is doing a nice gesture here...
Let's see what Luke wants to do. If he doesn't come through I know for sure my buddy will toss his up. Idk what all he has going on with his server but it's better than nothing and can be migrated.

Yea that's why I said what I said. I'm basically offering hosting services for free. I'm not compiling or running the Minecraft server, only giving people an opportunity to just go wild with one for free until the upload gets capped. In a perfect world it would be better to get together instead of compete, but I'm not competing only offering a free service. Sort of like the ARK server, which I did setup. Nothing fancy, just something that people can use if they like and ask for things if they want it. I was asked to put the Stargate teleporters in which I'm probably doing this weekend. I'm really not an ******* like some people think on this forum, I'm really nice and just like to help. Context through text is a bitch though. I also don't like the guys that have all this cool **** and brag about it and do nothing with it. I have a lot of stuff laying around doing realistically nothing and there are a ton of people without such things available that would dream of having. Just trying to make this stuff available because this place is like my home. I mean hell, every year I give a piece of hardware away for Christmas to long term TF members. :lol:

I wonder if iFargle would want to migrate his since I know he lives south of me in the boonies. Not much net out there unfortunately. @iFargle how many people do you normally host for?

Edit: And no, I'm not looking to try and make money off this either if anybody saw the charge as that exception. It would only be necessary if the up cap is hit so I can upgrade services to better serve the server. If they don't want to they're obviously of course free to move to a host if they want.

Last edited:
Sorry man. I wasnt trying to go against your kind gesture. You're just usually really snide so I guess of how i've seen you word things in the past gives me a general impression that I instead should continue to establish - not assume I know you.

Sorry man, its cool you're doing this. I've ran MC servers for years. They've formed communities like TF and from those communities i've made friends that I am still friends with today. So I guess you can say that my heart is invested into MC servers which is why when I invest myself into a project I want to be pragmatic about its goals. I'm like the devoted WOW kid of MC communities lol; and similarly both types of people are very passionate about their hobby.

Back
Top Bottom