Minecraft server?

Awesome man. Quesiton - you're a programmer. I don't code plugins, but just the YAML configs for the plugins. Do you do java?

Nah, not really. I am a fast learner and I once made a simple hello world plugin. My buddy is really good at mc plugin development however. I'll try to tell him about u and your server.

I once made a kit-pvp server once with portals and everything except configured permissions as they are a nightmare :(

Last edited:
I tried contacting the dev team for MCMMO because they currently have a /party system that you can join /parties with your friends for exp share, shared loot, ect... but I would really like to see either a feature added to their existing api or a separate waypoint plugin that would allow friends to /pwp [player] to add a cooperative waypoint blip on their screen wherever that player is. So players can easily keep track of each other in the world. My current work around is a /kit fireworks that gives fireworks, and I hacked up the render distance on all server clients for fireworks to almost 1000 blocks. So you can see/hear the fireworks even if they are beyond the world render distance. It just doens't work as nice as a genuine waypoint plugin would. Just a fantasy, I dont have the time to invest into it myself, and something like that doens't exist yet. Prob because of the HUD assets that vanilla MC client lacks.

I've been here over a decade and was banned for like 3 years out of that. I've seen some Minecraft builds that took over a year to make, so I'd say that trumps me helping people on my free time.

Awesome man. Quesiton - you're a programmer. I don't code plugins, but just the YAML configs for the plugins. Do you do java?

Side comment: been doing Java at work lately for an Android app (I'm normally a C# dev)...god I hate Java lol.

If you're offering this up PP, how good is the network behind it? Up/Down speeds would be great to know. If those speeds are decent, I may have someone who's interested in this. Also, does the server have an SSD or a HDD?

If you're offering this up PP, how good is the network behind it? Up/Down speeds would be great to know. If those speeds are decent, I may have someone who's interested in this. Also, does the server have an SSD or a HDD?

He's on 100/100, IIRC.

Its .25mb per person on vanilla, and only as a rule of thumb. There are situations in vanilla it can exceed .25mb. It can easily quad-ripple that rule with good plugins that most decent servers use.

Yea but then you still have to calculate realistic traffic. Even at 1Mb per person that's good for around 130 people easy. Not every server is going to sky rocket to 400 people over night. I mean at best I've seen 30 people on my ARK server, and even then you need to calculate concurrent users. Highly doubt a new server within a month will have over 100 concurrent users. I'm sure the Minecraft server area is as saturated as ARK.

On the slight slight chance the server starts capping upload I have ways around that too. I mean if it's that popular I could ask for 50 cents a person which would allow me to easily double my bandwidth and properly care for the server. I could even split it and toss it on another server on another fiber connection I have access to that is 300/300 if I couldn't justify upping my own connection which is within walking distance to my place. Thing is, I highly doubt this would happen. I could even go as far as linking the servers (Minecraft) if that's possible and making a wireless VPN between houses on a 1Gb wireless link lol. I'm geared to do some pretty badass dedicated services if I wanted to but I highly doubt people would even want to pay just 50c to play on a server that's like it's hosted by a datacenter.

Edit: Hell, I could even up the ante and upgrade my server to dual Haswell-EP 8 or 10 core with over 64GB of DDR4 IF it really came to it. I have up to 2Gb worth of upload bandwidth at my disposal if the money is coming in.

Last edited:
Not every server is going to sky rocket to 400 people over night.

This is the whole reason most people with common sense would configure a server on a cheap host then as marketing begins up the ante or slowly gain traffic over time and slowly upgrade over time.

Starting out with a whopper server sets the expectation that you're going to have a whopper crowd. But that's never the case.

Back
Top Bottom