what does your ISP see when you use vpn?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
im wondering what kind of info does isp see when you use a vpn
i read somewhere that its possible to identify you by the browser window size and the session time etc
doesnt that make VPN somewhat useless?
and what about google and other browsers?
or using pages where the login is required how does that work?
im curious because on one side i see everyone saying vpn is the best thing since sliced bread
on the other side see people saying that you still can be tracked

They essentially see this

wireshark-capture-ipsec-esp-transport-mode.png

I'm wondering what kind of info does ISP see when you use a VPN. I read somewhere that its possible to identify you by the browser window size and the session time etc; doesn't that make VPN somewhat useless? and what about google and other browsers? Or using pages where the login is required how does that work?
I'm curious because on one side i see everyone saying VPN is the best thing since sliced bread but on the other side see people saying that you still can be tracked

No idea what that means :lol: How can they identify you by the browser size though?

100% depends on the VPN and how snoopy the ISP wants to be.

PPs Right. Its depends on the VPN Service provider you use and down too a lot of factors such as; do they keep logs, do they monitor traffic, what is their bandwidth speeds and were are their local servers held for law abidance in that particular country.

Too answer your particular question in regards too the browser, in FF and Chrome you have something called RTC. Too disable this in FF you would go too "about:config" (type that in your browser) in your browser and in the sub field type in "media.peeraccess" in order too set this value too false. This will, if not set too false give away your physical I.P Address as this is a protocol built in too the web browser what will be used for that particular session.

For example again in regards too the browser size, this is on a terminal too terminal basis as too identifying individual log files on the individual system what will be kept from a current "session." of an active online open browser.

VPN s are system wide and will run on the OSI model layer 6 but have the capability too run on layer 3 .

Don't get confused with "Proxy" and "VPN." A proxy is application too application based and will run within individual software on the OSI model on layer 7.

VPNs are very complex and I don't care how much a youtube video breaks down a VPN with in the space of 2.30 Sec ; VPN s have to sit between your ISP and the WWW, so in regards to your other question about VPN s and ISP s , basically your individual terminal will have too encrypt the DATA you send before it hits your ISP, is then authenticated and accepted buy your VPN service provider and then sent off too the WWW.

Their are many standards of encryption one can use too get past their ISP and hide their traffic but setting up a VPN is not a job that should be under taken lightly if you value your security and privacy because their will be issues of DNS Leaks and the likes of I.P Ver:6 problems and depending on what OS you are using their will be other issues too deal with like Kill Switches and OpenVPN.

Their is also Stealth when it comes too VPN s, what will in a nut shell make your traffic look like standard HTTP: traffic in order to by pass any restrictions if your ISP is actively blocking the use of a VPN or any and all encryption on their service.

VPN s are very good for hiding your traffic but then the other question you asked about login Ect: You can change your I.P Address no problem with a VPN. Yeah sure but were do you draw the line about what information you hand out online.

For example if you sign up too an e E Mail; are you going too give your real name so when you log in you can be recognised as the account holder. Or are you going too give the name "John Smith" but still be able too prove you are "John Smith" if something goes wrong with your account. Can you see what I'm getting at with those two examples; basically, how do they know you are who you say you are.

What about providing real world billing information. CC or DC, or some sort of real world bank payment or just something that can be linked back too you on paper.

Its a lot I know, but when it comes too the Online World in regards too the question you asked and the Real World; were do you draw the line.

Back
Top Bottom