What are different encryption types used for?

laquishabonquiqui

Beta member
Hello I have been reading about different encryption methods and wondering why everything isnt secure with something like RSA. What are the most common types and why are they used for what theyre being used for. For example most networks use WPA and WPA2 but banks use RSA to encrypt their data. Why don't we all use the most secure one? Or is there different purposes and bounderies that each one has?

WPA is just a networking piece. WPA/WPA2 themselves use actual encryption algorithms, e.g. WPA2 uses AES.

Here's a nice list of common ones: 5 Common Encryption Algorithms and the Unbreakables of the Future

Hello I have been reading about different encryption methods and wondering why everything isnt secure with something like RSA. What are the most common types and why are they used for what theyre being used for. For example most networks use WPA and WPA2 but banks use RSA to encrypt their data. Why don't we all use the most secure one? Or is there different purposes and bounderies that each one has?

I've been looking in too this in regards to my self education on TOR.

To my knowledge as I understand it you have this art of Cryptography as thats what were talking about hear in regards to encryption and decryption.

Asymmetric and Symmetric and also Hash I think the likes of AES and 3DES and Two fish all fall in too these category. Cryptography goes back and I mean way back to the second world war when the emerging technologies were coming out and todays standards on a digital platform way supersede anything as of even 20 years ago.

I'm not 100 % but I thing the three main category are Asymmetric and Symmetric, and Hash. Everything falls in too these three category.

Asymmetric / symmetric are ways to handle the keys.

Hashing != encryption. Encryption means you can get the data back - hashing performs an algorithm on it, and results in a somewhat unique "fingerprint" for whatever was hashed - but you can't unhash something. You can only go one way with it. I say "somewhat unique" because you can still have the possibility of collisions, or two totally different inputs hashing to the exact same value (this is how some password brute forces are performed).

Hashing != encryption. Encryption means you can get the data back - hashing performs an algorithm on it, and results in a somewhat unique "fingerprint" for whatever was hashed - but you can't unhash something.
I've had to explain this to more than one police officer at work. If you could reverse it, you'd end up with deity-level compression. Plus it'd be recursive, as you could just hash a list of hashes :p

Back
Top Bottom