Want to use 2nd router - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Security | Computer, Devices, Software and Systems > General Security Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Want to use 2nd router

Hello. I am living in a room of a house. I have an Ethernet cord running to the main router. I donít trust the security of the network. I know there is always a way in if a good hacker wants to get in but I still want an added layer of security.
I was thinking I can connect a second router in my room and have my own little mini network,.
Is this possible? Would it be effective? Would it make any difference at all?
If it is a useful idea then how would I configure it to get the most security possible?

Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Want to use 2nd router

Yes you can do that, but if you get a third party firewall you can accomplish the same thing

Old 06-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Basically it seems like a router is really what I need, the problem is that I have heard that the second router will have its own nat and so if I try to play Xbox live it will have double nat and wonít allow me to play. So, is there a way around this without sacrificing security? Or is there a device with a great firewall that will have lan and WiFi and wonít cause double nat? Or is the whole concept doomed because the nat is part of the security, which is the whole point, and I canít set up a secure second network without its own nat?
Old 06-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm not that smart and I don't know how to explain the whole process but maybe this could be helpful https://vpnbase.com/blog/steps-to-se...g-two-routers/ or just try and look for some other guides on Google.
Cheers!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Yes two routers = double nat which means closed nat on your Xbox. The only way around that is by disabling the level 3 features (firewall, DHCP, etc) on the second router defeating the purpose of what you want to accomplish. Let me put it to you as bluntly as possible, if you're not doing what you're not supposed to do online you'll be ignored like the rest of us. If you are somebody of importance or you're poking your nose in the wrong place with the possibility to piss somebody off then a good solid firewall before your first router will always be a much better defense than any consumer junk router with a small ipsec.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
router, security