system crash with new install of comodo windows 10 asus

phase3.1

Beta member
has anyone ever encountered the problem of installing comodo internet security (free version) and it deleted your entire system? i am now sitting in front of a 'system reset' device that has been resetting my entire device back to an unknown state for like an hour now. the mcaffee provided, preinstalled service was expiring today, so i installed the free version of comodo which i have been using for years now, and after that the device no longer would start up.:sick: not cool. i don't know if my files will still be available or all just deleted.

update: my system is back and all my files are restored thank 'evolution science theory or god or whoever is responsible for these things'! :lol:

but i don't know if i want to reinstall comodo again. does anyone have a suggestion? i do not know anything about this stuff. pure user. i wish i knew how these things work, so i don't get a panic attack every time something fails to start up properly. or crashes like that. thankfully i had a 2nd device handy for things like this.
i just noticed i posted this in the wrong thread. sorry.

Last edited:
You'll get a lot of different answers on here around antivirus. Personally, I've never had a good experience with Comodo. Ever. I also have a severe dislike for McAfee and Norton/Symantec. For paid software, I recommend Webroot or Kaspersky. I'm not a huge fan of the free stuff, but I know Carnage will probably be posting shortly and give his recommendations on the free side.

*performs Carnage summoning spell*

Likewise Midnight, Comodo would constantly crash on me when gaming (any games).. so I swapped to Avira.. I would also recommend Avast.

Never looked into why it was crashing but never had any other AVs crash.

*performs Carnage summoning spell*

:p

@OP

I used Comodo for a while back in like...2007 or 2008 - was decent back then. Nowadays I don't even bother with a software firewall besides the included Windows firewall. A hardware firewall is better, and most routers have some sort of firewall built into them now as well.

As for AV...Midnight is correct - I'll be recommending free ones that are just as good as the paid ones. Avira or Avast are my recommendations based off of this:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/avc_sum_201512_en.pdf

AV-Comparatives are a 3rd party group that tests AV's.

Bear in mind no AV or firewall is 100%, and that common sense is the best defense. I don't run anything besides the default Windows Firewall and Windows Defender...but I also take precautions on what I click, as well as install browser add-ons that help defend. Such as:
Chrome:
uBlock Origin
Flashcontrol
Privacy Badger

Firefox:
uBlock Origin
Flashblock
Privacy Badger
NoScript

Edit: moved topic to General Security

Last edited:
:) i'm kind of scared now! i really have no clue how to proceed at this point. thanks for the suggestions. i have tried several of the products and dragon/comodo was ok for what i needed it for i guess.. but i really don't want that 'stress' again. i just hope the other suggestions work on this device, otherwise i might just stick to the provided software', just to stay on the safe side and purchase their subscription...

i'm just saying. even if everything is backed up, it's still panic mode when a device crashes. :eek: not a nice way to start your day.

thanks for the suggestions.

Well, if you're going to go with a paid subscription, I would suggest trying the trial version of the software first. Those are usually available directly from the web site of each company. I would suggest Webroot over Kaspersky for speed and ease of use. Kaspersky has recently been a bit more productive and lighter on resources, though it tends to nag a bit more than I like to see.

Either way, trial version first to see what you think you like best.

Back
Top Bottom