SSL VPN... Advice please - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Security | Computer, Devices, Software and Systems > General Security Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2016, 05:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Default SSL VPN... Advice please

Hi all.. I am just planning to install SSL VPN on my office network. When I have discussed with the cyber security soluions, NCI in Toronto they told about SSL Portal VPN and SSL Tunnel VPN. But I don't get it much. What is the difference between these two? Which one would be better in terms of security? Please reply me as soon as possible.

aime44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Default Re: SSL VPN... Advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by aime44 View Post
Hi all.. I am just planning to install SSL VPN on my office network. When I have discussed with the cyber security soluions, NCI in Toronto they told about SSL Portal VPN and SSL Tunnel VPN. But I don't get it much. What is the difference between these two? Which one would be better in terms of security? Please reply me as soon as possible.
Hey aime I'm very sorry for this very and extremely late reply. If you do see this can you post to what I'm about to mention.

The question is not a simple one as from what I can tell you must be in a position of authority of own a business.

Trying to keep it simple.

A SLL Portal VPN allows a user to use a single standard SSL connection to a Web site to securely access multiple network services because SSL portal VPN the basic idea is that the SSL VPN gateway proxies web servers on the inside network and rewrites the URLs on the fly.

SSL Tunnel VPN allows a user to use a typical Web browser to securely access multiple network services through a tunnel that is running under SSL. Requires that the Web browser be able to handle specific types of active content (e.g., Java, JavaScript, Flash, or ActiveX) and that the user be able to run them.

Their are security issues with both but for me being paranoid type of person the the proxy in the middle of a Portal VPN is a no no as this service can keep logs ECT and track a users history.

Hope that helps.

Spud1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Ghost

Default Re: SSL VPN... Advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud1200 View Post
Hey aime I'm very sorry for this very and extremely late reply. If you do see this can you post to what I'm about to mention.

The question is not a simple one as from what I can tell you must be in a position of authority of own a business.

Trying to keep it simple.

A SLL Portal VPN allows a user to use a single standard SSL connection to a Web site to securely access multiple network services because SSL portal VPN the basic idea is that the SSL VPN gateway proxies web servers on the inside network and rewrites the URLs on the fly.

SSL Tunnel VPN allows a user to use a typical Web browser to securely access multiple network services through a tunnel that is running under SSL. Requires that the Web browser be able to handle specific types of active content (e.g., Java, JavaScript, Flash, or ActiveX) and that the user be able to run them.

Their are security issues with both but for me being paranoid type of person the the proxy in the middle of a Portal VPN is a no no as this service can keep logs ECT and track a users history.

Hope that helps.
If it's a business, then you'll definitely want that logging though Spud. Businesses need to know what's going on in their network. It's the same reason why schools have internet logs and filters in order to prevent students from accessing sites they shouldn't be looking into :P