Server Backup Solution

NOLACop

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. First let me give some background. I am a police officer in the New Orleans area. I am in charge of my departments, laptops, desktops, and server network. I have no formal computer training. I am one of those people who likes to know how things work and over the years I have taught myself how to work on and fix computers. I am the "IT" guy at my department even though I have no formal training (google is a big part of what I do). Whenever I have an actual computer guru working on something for me I pay attention and take notes. I have some knowledge now of basic networking things.

I currently have 4 servers. All Windows based (Server 2003 and 2008). On two of my servers I have external drives for storage of video files. I currently have 2 Lacie 6TB drives set to RAID 1 and a 4TB drive also RAID 1. These two servers run and save video and audio from our in car dash cameras and IP crime camera network. One server is my domain controller and DHCP. This server also contains all of the departments network shares as well as all crash reports. Each officer has a folder to store their documents such as warants, trip sheets, and whatever they need or want to store. The administration stores their statistics in a shared folder including stats for the FBI and other state nad federal agencies we are required to report crime stats to. The last server stores all criminal reports, including the report, statements, evidence forms, and anything that is printed on paper that is attached to the case file.

This is what I need:

I am looking for a cost effective backup solution. I do not have a large budget as we are a small department. I have looked into Barracuda networks, which is an appliance and a cloud backup option. This will cost $5000-$8000 depending on the appliance plus the yearly cloud backup fee. I have also looked into Backup Exec. This will cost about $2000 for software and then I would need a large NAS and a seperate cloud solution. My next idea was a NAS with backup Exec and instead of a cloud backup, I would get a second NAS and place it off site either at my house or a city owned property and backup to that also.

My question is, is that possible with Backup Exec and high speed internet service that the department and I have? I was thinking that would be the least expensive option although not as secure and rock solid.

My DC and DHCP server does have a RD1000 drive but those disks are expensive and the server treats it like a CD rom drive and not a HDD so recovering a single file is not possible. Then that disk would need to be changed often and it will not backup all the data I have from all the servers so I ruled that out. I do have Symantec Ghost 2.5 for my laptops and desktop images but I'm not sure if that would image a server and that is still not a good backup solution.

I would also like to hear any other suggestions any of you have.

Thanks for your time.

I looked at the crashplan site and it is for personal accounts only. There is no optiof for business or government. There is also no option for server backups.

Bacula... it's free and isn't too hard to setup. It works well w/ our Windows servers. You'll need a linux box for a server and install the bacula client's on Windows. You can configure the server to take folders and/or specific drives to backup. Best part of all is, it's all free... except that you'll need a server. I can't help you w/ that :)

What about Acronis? I know that they have various server backup options for various types of companies? Have you thought about it?

I used Acronis for cloning laptops but I have moved to Symantec Ghost for that since I can store machine images on a server.

I ended up getting a dedicated server for backups and I got Backup Exec 2012. I am currently backing up 5 servers. I don't backup any workstations on the network since everyone has a shared folder on the DC.

Anyway, over the last few weeks all of my backup jobs have started to fail. Now all jobs fail at every attempt. My servers haven't been backed up in over a week. When I look at the backup jobs, and I run a test of the credentials, everything passes and the BE can "talk" to the backup target servers. The backups are failing either for a communications error or corrupt data error.

Other than deleting all of my backup jobs and starting over, what else can be done?

Back
Top Bottom