Need help ASAP!!

If I were you, I honestly wouldn't worry about an additional firewall unless you're doing stuff that you shouldn't be, such as hosting torrents that are illegal, buying/selling on the dark web, etc.

A firewall wouldn't help in that case..that's what VPN's / proxies are for.

A firewall is a defense tool to keep malicious activity away from your network, which can happen as random probes, targeted attacks, etc.

Its not coming from this site...
Here is what I found, if it is any use to you guys at this point.
Details on IP address 197.231.221

% This is the AfriNIC Whois server.

% Note: this output has been filtered.
% To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '197.231.221.0 - 197.231.221.255'

% No abuse contact registered for 197.231.221.0 - 197.231.221.255

inetnum: 197.231.221.0 - 197.231.221.255
netname: CYBERDYNE-VPN01
descr: Cyberdynes VPN users, block 01.
admin-c: NW2-AFRINIC
tech-c: NW2-AFRINIC
mnt-by: CyberdyneSA-MNT
source: AFRINIC # Filtered
parent: 197.231.220.0 - 197.231.223.255

Its not coming from this site...

We know the IP isn't coming from this site, but it could have easily been an ad-injection or something similar from the site (or any site - or like I suggested before, a random probe).

A firewall wouldn't help in that case..that's what VPN's / proxies are for.

A firewall is a defense tool to keep malicious activity away from your network, which can happen as random probes, targeted attacks, etc.

I know, but my point is that an additional firewall isn't normally needed for most end users. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea (think wearing a helmet while on a motorcycle).

Hi guys! Are you saying that I don't need to program my router any further??
I use to use 3rd party firewalls, but it was my understanding that they aren't needed with this wireless router. Is that right!! Do you use a 3rd party firewall?? If so what do you recommend??
Gary!!

I use to use 3rd party firewalls, but it was my understanding that they aren't needed with this wireless router.
They aren't strictly necessary, but just because your wireless router (switch) provides a firewall - and pretty much all consumer routers provide at least a basic firewall - doesn't mean that it's much good, or that there isn't any benefit to having a firewall at both levels.

If you think of your network as a series of layers, with your router at the top and each host (PC/laptop/console/phone) at the bottom, it's potentially more effective to have security at each level instead of only at the top.

However, just because it's potentially more effective, I posit that it's unlikely to be worth the cost. Unless you're depending on your devices for your livelihood, I personally wouldn't bother.

Is that right!! Do you use a 3rd party firewall?? If so what do you recommend??
Personally, I don't bother beyond that which is included in the OS by default. My mother, who lectures in computer security, disagrees with my attitude and pays for ZoneAlarm, which I think would be my preference if I cared enough.

OK Thank you Yami! I haven't had any more malicious IP's stopped by MBAM.
I guess it was a drive by and MBAM stopped them. That's good
Thank you for your reply!
Gary!

As long as you got AV, a basic firewall, dont have all ports open, latest windows security updates, make your account a standard user (use UAC to install programs etc) and use common sense when browsing the internet youll be fine! :cool:

Unless your a important person with confidential data or known to have alot of money and use online banking alot! you have nothing to worry about.. I randomly check IPs from time to time, so its not just evil people doing it :cool:

Personally, I don't bother beyond that which is included in the OS by default. My mother, who lectures in computer security, disagrees with my attitude and pays for ZoneAlarm, which I think would be my preference if I cared enough.

And I disagree with that, since I feel a firewall at above or at the router level would be more effective than a software-level FW in the OS :p.

I used to have a software firewall (first ZoneAlarm then switched to Comodo).

The ESET Security Suite has a good firewall. Out of the box it's pretty much set but you can make and apply rules if you like. What I hate is how the browser lockups slip through. Must be pop unders. You know the ones that tell you to call a number to get the virus off your system. it locks up your browser and you supposedly have some sort of bug. I have yet to see a hard or soft firewall stop those.

I figured out how to get around it though. CTRL+ALT+DEL. On next screen click on the red button in the lower right corner and open the menu. Select restart.
POOF and it's gone.
For S&G's I called the number. Having been in the Navy I went salty on the poor guy. He hung up after about 2 minutes of my abuse.

Back
Top Bottom