Need help ASAP!!

If MBAM reports that it blocked the IP then it's doing the job you paid for. Why would it cause you to panic?
Because there were 10 hits in just a few minutes and I had no idea what was going on. This happened a very long time ago after XXXing of the Chinese. I have not had that happen again until now. MBAB blocked 720+ IP addresses over a period of 3 months from the Chinese. I think the Chinese were really angry with me for exposing them for being crooks :lol::angel:Tried to inform the politicians in Oklahoma, but they could care less. Wrote four certified letters and didn't get one response. Tells me they could care less. This is why I love my MBAM and it will always be a part of my security plan.:silly:
Gary!

Because there were 10 hits in just a few minutes and I had no idea what was going on. This happened a very long time ago after XXXing of the Chinese. I have not had that happen again until now. MBAB blocked 720+ IP addresses over a period of 3 months from the Chinese. I think the Chinese were really angry with me for exposing them for being crooks :lol::angel:Tried to inform the politicians in Oklahoma, but they could care less. Wrote four certified letters and didn't get one response. Tells me they could care less. This is why I love my MBAM and it will always be a part of my security plan.:silly:
Gary!

Should have a hardware firewall blocking those though, instead of relying on MBAM.

If it's being blocked by MBAM, it's technically already past your router and in your network...where as if you have a firewall at the router level (or before), it will be blocked before it even enters your network, and then MBAM wouldn't need to block anything.

Hardware firewall > software firewall.

Hi Carnage! The only firewall I have is windows. This is all above my pay grade. Can you advise me further what I need to do. I thought the router was supposed to act like a firewall. I was told I don't need a third party firewall if I have a Wireless router. I have a Netgear combo router!!
My router is set to default. Do I need to make some changes??
Thanks for your reply!
Gary!!

Look in your router's config via the web GUI and see if the firewall is on. That's a start at least - but consumer-grade routers won't have the best firewalls, especially lower end devices like Netgear.

Hi! I got the best NETGEER that Staples offered. AC1750WIFI Cable Modem Router Model C6300. I have no idea what you're telling me to do. I just plugged the router in, called Sudden Link and gave them the info they wanted. I assume I have the default settings. I did not change any thing. You are way over my pay grade friend. I really appreciate your help, but I'm sorry I don't have a clue to what I should do to see if the firewall is on.
Gary!!

You're kidding? Tell me you're just dorking around. You paid almost 200 dollars for that and can't program it?
Gary my brother, you need to bone up on how to program a router to get the max protection and max performance out of it. It's not all that complicated. Really it isn't.

Hey brother! I'm all ears. Here's the whole story. My first router was from Staples. It was a Motorola. It started dropping me. Took it back to Staples. They told me they didn't test them. I bought a NETGEER. Was assured it was better than Motorola. Tried for two hours to make the NETGEER work. Took it back and told them my story. They gave me this router and said it was the best they had and didn't charge me for the better router. Hooked it up and in 15 minutes no more drop offs. Was a happy camper until now,
No I have not programmed it friend and I have no idea what I need to do!
Gary
PS No I'm not kidding. I may give the impression that I know all this XXXX, but I actually know very little about these things!

Last edited:
Gary, no worries bud. That's the purpose of a forum is for getting information. Netgear routers are known for being consumer friendly to setup, so the fact that you didn't have to do much is exactly the purpose. If I were you, I honestly wouldn't worry about an additional firewall unless you're doing stuff that you shouldn't be, such as hosting torrents that are illegal, buying/selling on the dark web, etc.

The only other time I would tell you to worry is if you're having an ongoing issue with something like this, which it doesn't sound like you are. Standard firewalls are good for most of the users, but it never hurts to build a good defense, either. If you decide to get an external firewall, I'm sure folks here can help you get it setup properly.

Back
Top Bottom