MBAM got me wondering!

Yes I am, and Win OS blocks both in/out bound.. however, maybe your router is allowing overall access (maybe clash - as routers have a firewall aswell) so block the port in router and give the test another go! :cool:

If that fails then the test is giving a false result and is probably fake, easy way to check ports is..

CMD > netstat -a (run this and will show all open/listening ports)

:cool:

Last edited:
If that fails then the test is giving a false result and is probably fake, easy way to check ports is..

I wouldn't necessarily say "fake" - maybe older. Gibson is a good security researcher, just as an FYI.

Hi i2D! I try to do what you suggest, but I never know how to interpreter the results. I'm really don't feel secure messing with the router. The default setting are supposed to block these things! I reset the router to default.
I ran netstat in CMD! Here's the results!!

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi! I'm self taught and my computer language leaves a lot to be desired. I think I have probably milked this thread more than I should. Here's my thoughts in the language that I understand and what I have learned from all the help I have received here on this thread.
If some thing can get into my PC, there's a good chance that it can get out. I'm not sure that's good but it's probably necessary. By doing the Gibson leak test; I invited them in, now I'm guessing my firewall or router or some thing should keep Gibson from getting out. It seems nothing is doing that and that could be a problem for me?? It seems that MBAM pro and windows firewall and my router may be keeping the bad guys out. If the bad guys can't get in that's a good thing and why worry?? If they can't get in, there's nothing bad to get out. I always have a way to recover with current images of my OS on a external. I have at least 12 and they have all been verified. I have used images many times to bail me out of situations and I'm very confident that I can recover from just about any disaster. That's the way I put all this in my language. I have learned a lot about all this and as long as anyone wants to suggest things, I'll do my best to give them a go.
Thanks to all that have replied to this thread!
Gary!
PS One final thought! How would I know if some thing bad was getting out of my PC?? I get crap from friends and MBAM warns me. I try to tell them they may have been infected or hacked. I have a cousin that stays infected. I have asked him to quit emailing me. LOL. He won't listen to me, so I just delete his mail!

Last edited:
Hi i2D! I try to do what you suggest, but I never know how to interpreter the results. I'm really don't feel secure messing with the router. The default setting are supposed to block these things! I reset the router to default.
I ran netstat in CMD! Here's the results!!

First run the test again, then straight after you need to type netstat -a

If the test did indeed use port 21 it will show in netstat as your computer would of just connected on that port.

I wouldn't necessarily say "fake" - maybe older. Gibson is a good security researcher, just as an FYI.

Ok, not fake lol.

I ran the test and it says my PC firewall was penetrated as well... checked my ports and I guess I got confused somewhere with regards to port 21 (this is open on their server - a fake FTP server for their test)..

I found that it tests if it can open a random port, which mine was port 51779 then 51913 - so the leaktest test "or" one of the leaktest tests is to check weather your firewall allows automatic rule creations.

So only way to stop this is, you would need to configure your firewall to not allow any outbound ports being opened unless you create them manually.

Not sure how to do this at all... or you can just get a third party tool that notifies you that an application is trying to communicate outbound, and gives you an option to block or allow...

Maybe someone can go into more details about a solution to blocking outbound ports "automatically"

Thanks i2D for all your replies. I'm thinking we have covered this topic pretty well now and I know a lot more about firewalls then I did before I started this thread. I don't think I'm going to worry about this leak test. I'm thinking the only way you can pass this test is with a third party firewall program,
Thanks to all who replied! You are appreciated!
Gary!

Thanks i2D for all your replies. I'm thinking we have covered this topic pretty well now and I know a lot more about firewalls then I did before I started this thread. I don't think I'm going to worry about this leak test. I'm thinking the only way you can pass this test is with a third party firewall program,
Thanks to all who replied! You are appreciated!
Gary!

Yes, third party firewall would be better, like comodo etc or the notifier may stop the action...

Anyways I learnt a thing or to looking into this as well :cool:

Back
Top Bottom