isolated browser for things like facebook? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Security | Computer, Devices, Software and Systems > General Security Topics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 862
Send a message via AIM to raverx3m
Default isolated browser for things like facebook?

so i was thinking how to avoid facebook crawling through all my pages all the time and linking everything..
and thought if i install a separate browser that i use only for facebook and other pages like it which are very bad with keeping their hands to themselves

i dont want facebook to know every move i make on the internet
is that something that people do or even a good idea?
or does facebook still manage to find a way around that ?
so for example i use IE and firefox( yes i know i use firefox as a backup browser for a while but not as main browser)

and for example if i install chrome or some other browser to browse facebook and other pages that dont respect people's privacy and isolate them to that specific browser and set security and privacy specific to pages like that?

which browser would be best to do that? chrome or other? since i use IE and firefox i dont want to use them to be logged on facebook all the time because it is very intrusive.
i search for car parts on my cellphone or my work computer and ads for those parts show up on when im on my home PC later. im trying to unlink the facebook from everything so its isolated on each PC that im using.( i only login from 3 devices)
__________________

__________________
I HATE FIREFOX!!!!!!!I don't care if its what you use!!! I use IE and will continue using it...
(64 bit win7)(6gb dual chnl ram)( Gigabyte EP43-UD3L)(Q8400-2.67ghz Core2 Quad)
(120gb SSD 840 PRO)(4 tb WD storage)(GeForce GTX 650Ti (GV-N65TOC-2Gi)
raverx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
kalju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: EU
Posts: 68
Default Re: isolated browser for things like facebook?

No browser cannot help you...They are not guilty.
You have to do it yourself. You have to learn to use computer, mobile phone, internet, etc. It would also be a good idea to look at what facebook is and why it is at all made.
It is not free website for its users, but something else. Try to get to know, what is facebook.
__________________

kalju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,449
Default Re: isolated browser for things like facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raverx3m View Post
so i was thinking how to avoid facebook crawling through all my pages all the time and linking everything..
and thought if i install a separate browser that i use only for facebook and other pages like it which are very bad with keeping their hands to themselves

i dont want facebook to know every move i make on the internet
is that something that people do or even a good idea?
or does facebook still manage to find a way around that ?
so for example i use IE and firefox( yes i know i use firefox as a backup browser for a while but not as main browser)

and for example if i install chrome or some other browser to browse facebook and other pages that dont respect people's privacy and isolate them to that specific browser and set security and privacy specific to pages like that?
Yes it's an option. Install add-ons that also block scripts & such (such as Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin, etc).

Quote:
which browser would be best to do that? chrome or other? since i use IE and firefox i dont want to use them to be logged on facebook all the time because it is very intrusive.
Whichever one supports privacy add-ons.

Quote:
i search for car parts on my cellphone or my work computer and ads for those parts show up on when im on my home PC later. im trying to unlink the facebook from everything so its isolated on each PC that im using.( i only login from 3 devices)
That's less to do with Facebook, and more to do with behavior and ad-tracking. I'm not signed into FB at work, but I get ads on my work computer (if I unblock them), that relate to computer parts or other things I've searched for at home.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Lotta Lumina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: England
Posts: 4
Send a message via AIM to Lotta Lumina
Default Re: isolated browser for things like facebook?

Try using a Chromium build: https://chromium.woolyss.com/

It's basically Google Chrome without Flash, proprietary codecs, freedom of extension/theme additions, and best of all, no ad tracking.
Lotta Lumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 862
Send a message via AIM to raverx3m
Default Re: isolated browser for things like facebook?

installed epic privacy browser on desktop and laptop just for facebook and such
seems to be working good
no more targeted ads
__________________
I HATE FIREFOX!!!!!!!I don't care if its what you use!!! I use IE and will continue using it...
(64 bit win7)(6gb dual chnl ram)( Gigabyte EP43-UD3L)(Q8400-2.67ghz Core2 Quad)
(120gb SSD 840 PRO)(4 tb WD storage)(GeForce GTX 650Ti (GV-N65TOC-2Gi)
raverx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 862
Send a message via AIM to raverx3m
Default Re: isolated browser for things like facebook?

this way seems to be working pretty good
is there a way to isolate facebook app on android phone?
im only getting ads from scoped from my phone now
for few weeks i wasnt getting any ads at all haha it was probably confused by lack of tenticles from my browsers since i ONLY use it for facebook
__________________
I HATE FIREFOX!!!!!!!I don't care if its what you use!!! I use IE and will continue using it...
(64 bit win7)(6gb dual chnl ram)( Gigabyte EP43-UD3L)(Q8400-2.67ghz Core2 Quad)
(120gb SSD 840 PRO)(4 tb WD storage)(GeForce GTX 650Ti (GV-N65TOC-2Gi)
raverx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
iFargle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 3,994
Default Re: isolated browser for things like facebook?

Firefox Containers are pretty nice
__________________
7700k • 32GB RAM • 512GB 960 Pro • GTX 1080 • NCase M1
15" Retina MBP || 64GB Nexus 6P || 64GB iPad Air 2
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,449
Default Re: isolated browser for things like facebook?

Don't use the app - use a browser, or find an alternative app.
__________________

__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Improve Facebook With Facebook Fixer For Google Chrome Osiris Tips, Tricks & Tutorials 0 01-03-2010 11:59 AM
Facebook Fixer Enhances Facebook’s Design Osiris Tips, Tricks & Tutorials 0 04-20-2009 07:08 AM
Im seeing things, weird things. MrZucchiniHead Off Topic Discussion 17 02-25-2006 01:10 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.