Internet help

El Pollo Loco

Solid State Member
So to make a long story my parents got an overcharge on their internet and the service provider said that maybe somebody could be "piggybacking" off of their internet, so I wanted to know if there was something I could put on my phone that could show me every IP connected to the wifi, or is there nothing I can do.

Thanks,
El pollo

You should be able to log into the router and be able to view the currently connected clients - their IP, MAC, and computer name.

Is your wifi secured? What encryption is it using (WEP, WPA, WPA2)? Have you tried changing the wifi password? Also, if it's enabled, make sure you disable WPS - it can easily be brute forced.

OK thanks carange, I will check that out. I'm fairly certain it's WPA. It is password secured. This is mainly a "just to be sure" kinda thing.

OK thanks carange, I will check that out. I'm fairly certain it's WPA. It is password secured. This is mainly a "just to be sure" kinda thing.
If it's only WPA, I recommend changing it to WPA2 if at all possible. WEP/WPA are pretty easily crackable now; with WPA2 being more difficult and most methods relying on other vulnerabilities (such as WPS).

I would also still recommend changing the wifi password that you use to connect devices, as well as making sure the router login (through the web UI) isn't the default or generic username/password.

Just to add to this, I had a customer a few days ago have the same issue with their satellite Internet ISP. Turns on we could not find anyone piggybacking off their network. I did find that they had a Trojan infection on one of their computers. Once the malware was removing, the Internet usage dropped back to normal.

Just a second thought if you cant find anyone or if changing the password does not help. But I agree with carnage, change your security to WPA2 and change the passphrase.

Back
Top Bottom