Google Drive Data Encryption

Have some .docx, .pdf, .ppt and some mailbox files such as .pst (Outlook), .mbox (apple mail) over the Google Drive. These all document are so important for me it's containing business data.

Download the Google Drive client for your desktop and put a VeraCrypt container in there. Put all files in the container.

you won't have access to them from drive.google.com, only from a computer with veracrypt installed.

If you want use this files (on different devics) then a encrypted container is not good idea.

Via Google:
"Google Drive uses AES-256 to protect file transfers, and AES-128 to encrypt your files at rest. AES is a very secure encryption algorithm without any currently feasible attacks, and is the current US Government encryption standard."

Use 2FA (https://www.google.com/landing/2step/) in your google account. Your files should be safety.

If you want use this files (on different devics) then a encrypted container is not good idea.

Via Google:
"Google Drive uses AES-256 to protect file transfers, and AES-128 to encrypt your files at rest. AES is a very secure encryption algorithm without any currently feasible attacks, and is the current US Government encryption standard."

Use 2FA (https://www.google.com/landing/2step/) in your google account. Your files should be safety.

But does Google hold the keys to the encrypted Drive accounts? That doesn't solve individual file encryption, or if you want the files to be encrypted and unreadable from Google, as well.

But does Google hold the keys to the encrypted Drive accounts? That doesn't solve individual file encryption, or if you want the files to be encrypted and unreadable from Google, as well.

Why do you assume that Google wants to read your documents, if they are really important (confidential) then you may need to think about another service.

I think so only because the solution that you throw something there while doing the encrypted container does not make sense (for effective work example).

Why do you assume that Google wants to read your documents, if they are really important (confidential) then you may need to think about another service.

Well they already crawl your email. And if there's sensitive info there, then you wouldn't want them potentially crawling that as well.

Or if somebody does gain access to your account (whether you have 2FA enabled or not), having those files encrypted with a 3rd party utility would make them useless.

Yes, storing confidential data on Google Drive probably isn't the best idea - but it's touted as a personal storage, and it's free. So the likelihood of confidential/private data being stored is pretty decent. Nothing wrong with adding another layer of security on top of that.

I had VeraCrypt for about six months and it was working ideally. However, the quality of app had a big impact and I leant towards the app that was easier to use and had superior UI. I'm talking about NordLocker (https://nordlocker.com/ ). So far I'm using freemium account (it has 5 gb of encryptable data storage) and it operates with every possible cloud provider. Thinking of upgrading to premium.

Back
Top Bottom