Free antivirus recommendations - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Security | Computer, Devices, Software and Systems > General Security Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Free antivirus recommendations

hi, any recommendations for a good free antivirus? i only use my laptop for internet browsing, emails, social media etc. thanks

Old 06-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Free antivirus recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper View Post
hi, any recommendations for a good free antivirus? i only use my laptop for internet browsing, emails, social media etc. thanks
Dear Friend! It all depends on which OS You uses.
Usually You don't need any of them, but if You uses Windows, then isn't any more questions needed, it is there already. And it is the best for Windows. Its name is Windows Defender.
And if you really have Windows, then do not use anything else in it and try to remember this forever!

Old 07-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

For OS X, I use the free version of Avira, however this isn't ideal as this doesn't offer zero-day protection.

I wouldn't recommend windows defender alone. I've used this alongside Kaspersky when I was with windows, often Kaspersky detected threats that Windows wouldn't. Ensure you pick software that offers "zero-day protection". That is an attack that takes advantage of a security vulnerability on the same day that the vulnerability becomes generally known. Ensure you pick anti-virus up to date.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Windows Defender also has cloud protection where they analyze the data for false positives. It's never good to run more than one AV. For the average consumer it's all you need really with Malwarebytes or the like on the side. In all reality, utilizing safe browsing and downloading habits is the best AV as nothing is perfect.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I think MalwareBytes is good. Ofc it's never good to run more than 1 AV, as they slow things down, however I found Windows Defender didn't detect everything. I thjnk kaspersky was best
Old 07-03-2018, 02:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Over the past week, I have been setting up my XP-Box and I have found COMODO to be very interesting from Filehippo.com ..

Its freeware and has advanced features like Port Blocking along with AV real-time protection. Its a firewall solution so will disable windows firewall by default but along with that what I like particularly is the containment feature.

Basically you can run a desired Browser of your choice in containment for an extra layer of security and any network traffic that is detected it will ask for permission. It even asked me for access to 127.0.0.1 which I found excellent ..
Old 07-03-2018, 07:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I found Comodo annoying due to popups, constantly asking to entrust incoming connections for every download. Not sure if these can be blocked though
Old 07-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

They say avast is the best!!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Code&Anime~ View Post
I found Comodo annoying due to popups, constantly asking to entrust incoming connections for every download. Not sure if these can be blocked though
Thats what I liked about it, knowing what was going on constantly being updated and the system giving me technical information so I can make my own decisions about what to do. Setting up a VPN on windows can be tricky if you're used to a Nix* environment but after a when I got the hang of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey065z View Post
They say avast is the best!!
I guess it depends on what you want or need. Some Linux users use AV but when I have spoken to Linux users on other boards a lot of them do not.

I have never seen a windows machine even from the shop directly not have AV or AM on or some sort of protection. I read then 90% of malware is engineered for Windows systems and I also do not trust M$ . Personally I think the NSA is so far up them especially were Windows 10 is you are trusting you digital online life with an unknown entity.

Same with FB, Windows 10 and FB puts my head in a spin. I struggle to grasp the implications and how most Joe public operate.

I couldn't I just couldn't.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Code&Anime~ View Post
I thjnk kaspersky was best
Webroot is better. The difference between them is the length of time it takes to scan and the sheer program size. Webroot is less than a MB and completely cloud-based. Regular scans typically take less than 2 minutes. Malware removal is thorough and works just as well as Malware Bytes.

That said, I only use Windows Defender these days unless I have an infection somewhere I need to clean off. Then it's back to Webroot or MBAM to remove it.