Favorite spyware, adware, etc programs

king_23

Baseband Member
I saw the thread about the tech-forums top rated Antivirus software and found it interesting. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to get some ideas. Basically, for a long time I have had a list of programs I run on my PC's regularly to keep them clean and running as good as new. I have changed the list along the way obviously. I will post the programs I use to start. If anyone thinks it's overkill, not enough, or wants to add to the list feel free. I'm curious to hear opinions on this.

List

Avast Antivirus - Scan

Ad-Aware Antivirus/Ad-ware - scan (I do this mainly for the ad-ware scan)

Mal-ware bytes - Scan

Super Antispyware - Scan

Spybot Search & Destroy - Scan

CCleaner - I run the cleaner and I also use the registry scan. For the registry scan I always choose to just fix all issues. I'm not sure if that is good or not, but I've never had any negative impact from it. I also look at the Start-up tool and remove necessary programs that start when the PC is turned on.

Windows Standard Defragmentor - I know there are better ones out there. I just recently started doing some research on what is the best one. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

**I would also like to add that I don't have all of these running real-time. The only one that I have running real-time is Avast.

Let's hear some input!!! :D:D

The best AV is common sense. If your browsing or downloading habits are so terrible that you need to run a long list of programs to keep your PC clean, then you need to reevaluate them.

I forget where I posted my standby before, but here it is.

• Boot into safe mode with networking
  • Run RKill
  • Run updated Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, have it clean whatever it finds
  • Run Combofix, have it clean whatever it finds
  • Repeat MBAM
  • Repeat Combofix
  • Run Unhide multiple times if needed
  • Boot into regular Windows
  • Run AV scan

I pretty much just use my router as my firewall, common sense as my anti-malware, and maybe run things like ccleaner if I think it's needed (though you can always manually delete a lot of the temporary files yourself)

No HJT Trotter?

Only if the situation calls for it. I am not a HJT pro, which means I have to research each entry that I do not recognize. Since most of these are freebies I usually don't delve into it unless I have to do so.

Only if the situation calls for it. I am not a HJT pro, which means I have to research each entry that I do not recognize. Since most of these are freebies I usually don't delve into it unless I have to do so.

hijackthis.de

Makes things a bit easier; obviously still have to look through the entries to make sure they're marked correctly, but easier to identify possible malware.

Back
Top Bottom