Destroying Files by Notepad

The reason it can be recovered no matter how many times it was wrote over is because of magnetics. Some of the old magnetic flip of those bits are left forever, and the disk heads can pick up these small fields, and some machines if you extract the platters and place them into can detect the magnetic field of each bit that even the heads cant, though I don't see most people or the government going so far as to pull platters unless it dealt with DHS.

I remember running recovery software on a disk of mine a few times, after around 40 some odd formats on it, it could go back through each and every single format and successfully recover MOST the data provided it wasn't a large file.

In all honesty, I wouldn't worry about erase methods unless you plan on giving people easy access to the disk. If you are worried about loss of the flash drive your using and someone for some reason running recovery software on it, buy one that uses biometric security, or after 3 failed logon attempts the flash drive destroys the chip for good physically. They aren't cheap, but it keeps prying eyes away from the files.

Last edited:
Many times I've smashed a Hard Drive up with a Hammer, and cracked the Platters, and Smashed up the Physical Unit it self. When I've had problems that it, and wanted no one to find out private and Confidential Info.

How does it work with SSDs.. I got told if you Loose your SSD (Solid State Drive) you have no chance what so ever of recovering it as its basically like a Flash Drive, Quicker but sensitive aswell.

The other Day, while on the subject of Hard Drives and DATA, I nearly lost my two tower systems. Due to not being able to remember the Password with True Crypt, lol ..

An SSD can be recovered after deletion, or even if the board is snapped in half data can be recovered... Each individual flash chip must be destroyed.

How about deleting the content of a Word or Excel file or erasing a picture from an image using a photo editing software? What happens in this case and can the picture be recovered?

I've edited the screenshot that I attached above to become the one enclosed here.

Attachments

• Eraser.png
    Eraser.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 1
I can Imagine that would work if you copied the file and not actually sent the original for example if you have private info.

Let me elaborate. If you copy the file and say sent it Via E Mail the Copy, I could Imagine the recipient would not be able to recover the Info with in the File, be it a picture, Text Document, or whatever but have the original and they might. I'm not sure how it works as to weather the original file would save any of the original Info but I could imagine that would work. I'm not sure about that so you will have to do some research on it.

I can Imagine that would work if you copied the file and not actually sent the original for example if you have private info.
Are you answering my questions?! Did you hear me talking about copying or sending a file?!

a couple extra prevention tips. degaussing sounds interesting.

https://www.linux.com/news/enterpri...s-after-you-accidentally-wipe-your-hard-drive

How to prevent recovery

I was glad that I was able to recovery my files with such "ease," but I also realized how easy it would be for my sensitive data to be recovered if I ever got rid of an old computer or hard drive. Luckily, you can wipe data from a hard drive in such a way as to prevent files from ever being recovered. Whitedust Security gives the following as options for secure data removal.
1.Writing over existing data with "junk" data.
2.Giving the hard drive an acid bath.
3.Degaussing the hard drive with a degausser.
4.Damaging the disk with fire.

Assuming you do not want to render the hard drive unusable, the best options are either writing over existing data or degaussing the hard drive.

degausing might be best, but wouldn't that theoretically mess up the PCB? I assume you stick it into a degauser as the disk doesn't have that function, does it?

amazon has several commercial products available. cheapest I saw was a wand for 750

Amazon.com: Garner HD-2 Data Eliminator Hard Drive Degausser (CE Approved): Computers & Accessories

Degausser.com | Your guide to degaussers and hard drive erasers.

quoted

Can Computer Tape and Hard Drives be Reused After Degaussing?

Many types of magnetic media can be reused after being run through a degausser, such as analog and digital video cartridges, DLT, 3480 and 3490. However, certain forms of media employ the use of servo tracks, which tell the computer how to interface with the media so that it can be read. Using a degausser to erase these not only erases the data on the media but also erases the servo tracks, so that the computer or tape drive will not be able to engage with the media after erasure. Hard disk drives and LTO and 3590 tape employ servo tracks and cannot be reused after being degaussed unless they are reformatted by the manufacturer and the servo tracks are rewritten.

Back
Top Bottom