Chrome & Outlook Freezing after running SAS & Malwarebytes

mathias1979

Solid State Member
So I ran SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes on my laptop to see if it might solve an issue I was having with Outlook (posted separately in the Windows Software subforum)...and I figured as a bonus it would help speed up Chrome which has been taking a long time to initialize lately. Together they caught 400 some tracking cookies and then a couple pieces of adware (logs are in attached zip file).

Now I'm finding when I open Chrome...it simply freezes up. Doesn't even load the startup page. In addition, I can't force it to close. When I open task manager there's usually about 5-6 chrome.exe processes...I can force most of them to close...but 1 stubborn one cannot be forced closed. Outlook also is not opening, and also has a related process that I cannot force to close. Curious if I could do a system restore...it took about 10-15 minutes for the System Restore window to open, and it still is just a white window. And when shutting down the computer...shutting down through windows takes forever, to the point where I simply have to power down manually.

Other aspects of the computer seem to be doing okay...I'm on Firefox now, have opened some text files and PDFs. Other things are hanging up and not opening.

Seems to be that I've got something nasty that SAS and Malwarebytes did not catch. I'm gonna run Spybot S&D now and see if it catches anything else. But I'm worried that my issue is more related to having deleted something with the other two clients that has corrupted the system or didn't get completely cleaned out.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Edit to say I'm running on Windows XP

Attachments

• debug.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Try running a system file check from command prompt.

Open command prompt as admin -> sfc /scannow

Try running a system file check from command prompt.

Open command prompt as admin -> sfc /scannow

Got a popup window...

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Inset your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now."

I purchased this laptop from my old job a few years back when they were downsizing...so naturally, I don't have a CD-ROM.

You'll need to get an OEM XP Pro disc from somewhere then.

Honestly though, you shouldn't be on XP anymore now if you're hooking that machine up to the internet that it's EOL.

You'll need to get an OEM XP Pro disc from somewhere then.

Honestly though, you shouldn't be on XP anymore now if you're hooking that machine up to the internet that it's EOL.

I stand corrected...I looked in my stack discs and I do have one. But also good news...after running Spybot S&D Chrome and Outlook are functioning again. Still having my issue with Outlook not sending e-mail to a lone client e-mail address which is what me started doing the malware scans. But that's OT here.

Yeah, I didn't want to jump to Windows 7 right when it came out...so I've been nursing this laptop along for the past year + even though it's past its prime. But doing some research on upgrading is on my to do list.

I stand corrected...I looked in my stack discs and I do have one. But also good news...after running Spybot S&D Chrome and Outlook are functioning again. Still having my issue with Outlook not sending e-mail to a lone client e-mail address which is what me started doing the malware scans. But that's OT here.

Yeah, I didn't want to jump to Windows 7 right when it came out...so I've been nursing this laptop along for the past year + even though it's past its prime. But doing some research on upgrading is on my to do list.

Its not a to-do-list type of thing in my opinion. XP is no longer supported. Your computer is just waiting to be compromised. Trust me when i say Windows 7 and or 8.1 are just fine.

Back
Top Bottom