Building your own DATA base of ...

Yeah, you'll want an airgapped network to play around with malware on.

Yeah, you'll want an airgapped network to play around with malware on.

I'll set up a system separate with no internet access but will have to transfer threw the likes of external HDD and mabie something like a Nix* OS since it free. I don't know much about how malware works but I'm pretty sure I could find some decompiler programs or software online to break down to instructions \ code.

No wired internet or even wireless set up in the cornet of my room just to play with and since its completely separate I could also set up like you say a VM within the OS and thus test see how the Code works. If it spreads it spreads. Might be good to test as well that sort of environment.

I'll try to get around to this in the next few days since I'm going to have to set it up separately and thus all my systems are in use for SETI.

I'll set up a system separate with no internet access but will have to transfer threw the likes of external HDD and mabie something like a Nix* OS since it free.
IMO, best thing to do would be to dedicate a flash drive for use with the system and also ONLY use some *nix distro that gets wiped regularly to do the file transfers, if you needed to do any. You could also get an SD card and an SD card to USB converter, and set the SD card to read-only when inserting into the testing box. That way there's less of a chance of the malware spreading to the SD card.

I don't know much about how malware works but I'm pretty sure I could find some decompiler programs or software online to break down to instructions \ code.

Decompiling isn't a trivial task - you'll need to be able to learn how to read / dig through hex values and possibly assembly.

The front page of Yami's link is a different malware sample everyday - you can't browse the rest of the samples unless you create an account and log in.

I see.... very risky to do on your own unless your very experienced in handling viruses

Naaaah. This is how I learnt to safely handle them, as well as learn Assembly.

I won't give anyone an invite until they've made me confident they won't abuse or insensibly handle them anyway.

Not like it's the only site out there with malware samples :p. There's the whole open Metasploit framework that's freely/openly available as well.

Back
Top Bottom