BIN file?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
so, i received an email telling me there has been a security update for my router today. so i downloaded it, but when i try to run it, its in a BIN (?) file format. and windows wants to search for an app in the windows store to open it. which would be fine, except it could not find one. i tried opening it manually, but i could not get it to run either. so i figure i must be doing something wrong. again. so before i posted here, i decided to try to run or install it into the router. when it is time for me to choose what file to upload, there is a compressed file and the BIN file to choose from. i picked the compressed file first, which didn't work. so i went back and tried again, using the BIN file. which also does not work.

Firstly, don't open files from emails when you're not expecting an email attachment - that's how ransomware / other malware gets spread ;).

BIN files are just binary encoded files usually; in this case its a firmware file. If it's truly an update to your router, I would go to the router manufacturer's website to get the latest version of firmware directly, and follow the instructions on how to update from there.

Or is this supposed to be an update provided by your ISP (assuming they're the ones that provided you with the router)? If that's the case...I would double check with them (give them a call or lookup their support email & send) to make sure they're actually the ones sending out the email.

its rather strange. the file is the update. they are not issuing a new firmware version. it is supposed to close several security holes . the email did not contain the file. i had to go to the d link website to download it.

So...who sent you the email? Are you sure it was a link to D-Link's actual website? You never mentioned you had to go to a site to d/l the file :p.

well, it says its d link in the address bar. that is the only way i know if it is who it says it is. is there a better way?

Back
Top Bottom