Walmart to Offer iPhone 5 Via Straight Talk Pre-Paid Plan - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Mobile
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Walmart to Offer iPhone 5 Via Straight Talk Pre-Paid Plan

Walmart announced today that it will offer the unlocked iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 via its Straight Talk wireless service.

Starting Jan. 11, shoppers in more than 2,000 Walmart stores can pick up one of the Apple smartphones and get unlimited talk, text, and data starting at $45 per month without a contract.

Walmart will sell the 16GB version of the iPhone 5 in black and white for $649 and the 8GB version of the iPhone 4 in black and white for $449. Those who use a Walmart credit card can pay for the smartphone in installments of $25 per month.

"We believe customers shouldn't have to choose between saving money and having the latest technology," Seong Ohm, senior vice president of Entertainment for Walmart U.S., said in a statement. "Now customers can have the coveted iPhone with unlimited talk, text and data without a contract for $70 a month thanks to our exclusive Straight Talk plan and industry first financing offer."

Straight Talk plans include: a $45 monthly no contract plan for unlimited talk, text, and data; and a $60 no contract plan that adds unlimited international calling to more than 1,000 destinations in Mexico, Canada, India, and other countries.

Apple started selling the unlocked iPhone 5 in late November. Through Apple, the 16GB unlocked iPhone 5 is on sale for $649, the 32GB is $749, and the 64GB version is $849 on Apple's website.

The unlocked iPhone 4 made its debut in June 2011. The 8GB iPhone 4 is currently $450 via Apple's website.

A Walmart spokeswoman said the store will also offer the unlocked iPhone 4S via Walmart.com, but that will not include the financing option just yet. Apple currently sells the a 16GB iPhone 4S for $549.

Yesterday, meanwhile, Walmart announced that it is expanding its "disc to digital" service to allow customers to add their DVD collections to the cloud from the comfort of their homes.

For more, see PCMag's full reviews of the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4.

Editor's Note: This story was updated at 11 p.m. Eastern with additional info from Walmart.

Source

Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Walmart to Offer iPhone 5 Via Straight Talk Pre-Paid Plan

I seen them today and I have to say this. Anyone who does this has to be silly. Now before people start bashing hear me out.

First lets look at cost. The iPhone 5 on Straight Talk is $650 to get just the phone! That does not include service. So for the first month alone you must purchase the phone at $650 plus another $45 to get unlimited service. Now where I live there is an 8% sales tax on things. That means to just start using this phone with unlimited service will cost you $750.60.

Now to get the same device on AT&T is going to cost you $200. Plus the 2 year contract at roughly $80 a month. That will get you 2GB of Data and unlimited talk/text. Yes I know it isn't unlimited, but I can tell you from personal experience using a Smart Phone on only 200MB a month, that it can be done. When you have WiFi available, use it. Why use Data when you don't have to?

So to compare, just walking out the door you will have to spend $750 on Straight Talk or $216 on AT&T. That is a $534 savings right there to start off with. Now to continue on you will see that a 12 month plan on Straight Talk for unlimited is $583.20. Compared to the $960 you will spend with AT&T. So you save overall a total of $376.80 on the service. But you still have not made up for the cost of the phone itself. You are still behind using Straight Talk by $157. That is going to take you roughly 2 more months of use before you will reach the equilibrium of where the 2 services will cost you the same.

That is 14 months on Straight Talk just to equal out what you will spend on contract. Yes in those 4 months you will save $125. I will give you that. But at that time you will be eligible for an upgrade to the next iPhone which will be out on AT&T, where you will still be stuck with the iPhone 5 and not able to get the new one.

So really if you think about it and look at the math, the end don't justify the means. You will spend about $125 more on contract, but you have the option to get a new phone in 16-18 months on contract where you will have to buy a new phone outright on Straight Talk. If you are in the market for an iPhone 5, I would honestly go with a contract provider over Straight Talk. With talks of it coming to T-Mobile in the US where they offer unlimited data still, you will make out in the end.

Just my opinion coming from someone who works with these services daily.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
I seen them today and I have to say this. Anyone who does this has to be silly. Now before people start bashing hear me out.

First lets look at cost. The iPhone 5 on Straight Talk is $650 to get just the phone! That does not include service. So for the first month alone you must purchase the phone at $650 plus another $45 to get unlimited service. Now where I live there is an 8% sales tax on things. That means to just start using this phone with unlimited service will cost you $750.60.

Now to get the same device on AT&T is going to cost you $200. Plus the 2 year contract at roughly $80 a month. That will get you 2GB of Data and unlimited talk/text. Yes I know it isn't unlimited, but I can tell you from personal experience using a Smart Phone on only 200MB a month, that it can be done. When you have WiFi available, use it. Why use Data when you don't have to?

So to compare, just walking out the door you will have to spend $750 on Straight Talk or $216 on AT&T. That is a $534 savings right there to start off with. Now to continue on you will see that a 12 month plan on Straight Talk for unlimited is $583.20. Compared to the $960 you will spend with AT&T. So you save overall a total of $376.80 on the service. But you still have not made up for the cost of the phone itself. You are still behind using Straight Talk by $157. That is going to take you roughly 2 more months of use before you will reach the equilibrium of where the 2 services will cost you the same.
Just my opinion coming from someone who works with these services daily.

Agree with your statement, but wouldnt it be best if they just purchase the iphone 5 from a official retailer have att unlock it ?

It would work out best for ATT gophone service UL text and talk for 50.00 a month or tmobile for 45.00 a month for UL text, talk and 200mb data.

I don't know why people go for straight talk and they are partly run by tracfone. <_<
Some people will learn the hardway eventually. :/
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

That would only work if the provider will give out the unlock codes for the devices.

AT&T just started to give out unlock codes for the iPhone 3 and 3G phones. The originals that were released. They still have yet to give out unlock codes for the 4, 4S or 5 from what I know.

So basically you would have to purchase an unlocked iPhone directly from Apple, which is what the Straight Talk version is, and then put it on the service. So really you don't save any money.

If you mean get one on contract, then unlock it and use it with Straight Talk, no. ETA or Eraly Termination Fees will kill that idea. They are at $450 for most providers now. So that would actually put you above just buying the phone outright.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Original Mac User

It's smarter to get the straight-talk iPhone from a cost standpoint. Much cheaper in the long run.

$650 phone
$45/mo
24mo total cost for user is $1730
Resale value of unlocked iPhone 5 after 24 months will undoubtedly be $400+
So if we assume the owner sells their iPhone 5 for $450 on ebay, they've only spent $1280. The rent on my house is more than that each month.

If I stick with AT&T I can get out the door with
$199 iPhone 5
$30 activation fee
$80/mo service for 24 month contract
Total cost of ownership is $2149
AT&T will likely give me $200 or less for trade-in at the end of my contract. That's almost $2000 that I've spent having that iPhone 5 through a contract.

The only thing stupid about buying an iPhone through Walmart is the brain cells you'll lose by going inside of a Walmart store.

17" MacBook Pro
2.3ghz Intel i7 // 8gb RAM
The older computer
2.53ghz Intel e7200 // 4gb HyperX // EVGA 9800 GTX 512mb // Win7
mac_mogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

How many people are really looking to get rid of their phone after just a year? Especially when they had to spend so much just to get it?

Just today we sold an iPhone 5 via Straight Talk. I asked the guy how long he planned on keeping it, he said till the new iPhone was released on Straight Talk, which may never happen. So in reality he just locked himself into Straight Talk with the iPhone 5 for who knows how long. It will take him 14 months to just equal what he would have spent in store on a contract without the option to upgrade to the new one when it comes out.

As I stated, it will take 14 months to equal the cost without the thought of selling it. Cause you can reduce your AT&T cost after you upgrade in 16 months by doing the same thing. Selling your device and using that money to pay for your upgrade and even get extra, possibly the amount to cover the cost of that phone as well. If it sells for $400, that is the cost of the iPhone 5 and the upgrade to the iPhone 6.

Plus it is unknown which provider that particular phone is being serviced with on Straight Talk at this time. So while they may have a great phone, it could use the T-Mobile towers and not have great service depending on where they are. Around here T-Mo isn't the greatest and it isn't listed what provider the iPhone is going to use on the Straight Talk service. All the other devices are mixed between AT&T, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mo. Not even the Straight Talk rep knew what provider these were going to use when I talked to them today.

So really getting this device is hit or miss without knowing that information. Depending on the area and which provider it piggy backs on, you could end up with a $650 paper weight.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
How many people are really looking to get rid of their phone after just a year? Especially when they had to spend so much just to get it?
I've seen a bunch of people on XDA do this all the time lol.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Original Mac User

Safe to say the majority of iPhone users keep their phones 2 years (typical contract length)

Early adopters skipped the 3G and upgraded to the 3GS. People who bought the 3G skipped the 3GS and bought the 4. My first iPhone was the 4 and I skipped the 4S.

The actual percentage of people who upgrade each time a new iPhone comes out is relatively small.

Service with Straight-Talk won't vary much from anyone using Sprint/Verizon/T-Mobile. It's a good plan and it saves money in the long run. You won't have the ability to use voice over data like AT&T, so if that is important to you then don't bother. Otherwise, its probably the best option for most people.

For many it is much easier to save up that $650 over 2-3 paychecks and buy the unlocked phone. It is then much easier to pay $45/mo for service to the phone that you own. Maybe having 100% service all of the time isn't their priority and they want to be able to use apps and listen to music, send text messages, take videos, pictures... Remember the iPhone is more than a phone. You don't need cellular service to get use out of the iPhone.

I have AT&T. I know what it's like to have an iPhone without service...

17" MacBook Pro
2.3ghz Intel i7 // 8gb RAM
The older computer
2.53ghz Intel e7200 // 4gb HyperX // EVGA 9800 GTX 512mb // Win7
mac_mogul is offline   Reply With Quote