Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Mobile
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple

In a shocking development out of Cupertino, Apple CEO Steve Jobs has stepped down, the board naming Tim Cook as his replacement. The company said "Steve's extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world's most innovative and valuable technology company."

Steve himself published the following letter:

Quote:
I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

Apple has confirmed that Jobs will stay on as Chairman. Full details in the PR after the break.

Full Press Release:

Quote:
Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple
Quote:
Tim Cook Named CEO and Jobs Elected Chairman of the Board

CUPERTINO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apple's Board of Directors today announced that Steve Jobs has resigned as Chief Executive Officer, and the Board has named Tim Cook, previously Apple's Chief Operating Officer, as the company's new CEO. Jobs has been elected Chairman of the Board and Cook will join the Board, effective immediately.

"Steve has made countless contributions to Apple's success, and he has attracted and inspired Apple's immensely creative employees and world class executive team. In his new role as Chairman of the Board, Steve will continue to serve Apple with his unique insights, creativity and inspiration."
"Steve's extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world's most innovative and valuable technology company," said Art Levinson, Chairman of Genentech, on behalf of Apple's Board. "Steve has made countless contributions to Apple's success, and he has attracted and inspired Apple's immensely creative employees and world class executive team. In his new role as Chairman of the Board, Steve will continue to serve Apple with his unique insights, creativity and inspiration."

"The Board has complete confidence that Tim is the right person to be our next CEO," added Levinson. "Tim's 13 years of service to Apple have been marked by outstanding performance, and he has demonstrated remarkable talent and sound judgment in everything he does."

Jobs submitted his resignation to the Board today and strongly recommended that the Board implement its succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO.

As COO, Cook was previously responsible for all of the company's worldwide sales and operations, including end-to-end management of Apple's supply chain, sales activities, and service and support in all markets and countries. He also headed Apple's Macintosh division and played a key role in the continued development of strategic reseller and supplier relationships, ensuring flexibility in response to an increasingly demanding marketplace.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced iPad 2 which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.

Source

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

―\_(ツ)_/―

Default Re: Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple

There's a lot I could say, but I think it most prudent to leave it all unsaid.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Sympathies for his family about his worsening health problems
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 08-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Yeah there are so many thoughts that I want to say. But cause of v I think it is best unsaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Sympathies for his family about his worsening health problems
Yes I will agree. Health problems are never a nice thing. I honestly hope he can get better and live a longer life.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
This but I will say that Steve had a vison for each product and would hound you if you had a good idea, and he was ****ing obsessive about even minor aspects of products before launching it into the public eye.

Despite my personal feelings I wish him a speedy recovery.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

He certainly helped change and shape the industry into what it is today. His obsessive behavior about his products helped Apple push out some of the nicest quality devices I've ever had the pleasure of using
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

The only thing great was the touch screen on the iPhone. Other than that, meh.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Steve was a jerk in his earlier years with Apple but without him the industry wouldn't be nearly as far as it is today, and many of his more recent products really helped shaped the industry like the iPod, MacBook, iPhone, and iPad.

Steve was very good at seeing what things would be great before others did, the latest being the iPad... When it came out almost everyone was criticizing Apple saying it was stupid to put a phone OS on a tablet. 18 months later you've got several imitations all running various mobile phone OS's and the iPad 2 is selling like crazy.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The only thing great was the touch screen on the iPhone. Other than that, meh.
Credit for that goes to TPK not Apple. They provided the capacitive touch layer for the original iPhone. Plus the iPhone wasn't the first phone with a capacitive touchscreen either, that honor goes to the Lg Prada

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Apple

Steve Jobs,
1955-2011

Closed Thread