Samsung Galaxy S III specs - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Mobile
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Samsung Galaxy S III specs

As Samsung announces its latest flagship smartphone, take a quick look under the hood and see what's powering the new Galaxy S III --
  • Quad-core Samsung Exynos chip @ 1.4 GHz, as previously announced
  • HSPA+21 and LTE versions
  • 4.8-inch HD SuperAMOLED 720x1280 screen
  • 8MP / Front 1.9MP camera (720p video recording)
  • 2100mAh battery
  • 1GB RAM
  • Wifi Channel Bonding
  • Bluetooth 4.0(LE)
  • Accelerometer, Notification light, Digital compass, Proximity sensor, Gyro, NFC, Barometer
  • 1080p video playback
  • Various multimedia codecs supported
  • MHL/DLNA
  • Dimensions: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6mm
  • Weight: 133 grams
  • Available in blue and white.

Source

Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
rustle rustle

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S III specs

The US version has a 1.5GHz dual core CPU with 2GB of RAM instead of a quad core with 1GB of RAM.

35g700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35g700 View Post
The US version has a 1.5GHz dual core CPU with 2GB of RAM instead of a quad core with 1GB of RAM.
So really it is just double the RAM of the Galaxy Note? Makes me glad I got that instead of waited for the GIII.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
So really it is just double the RAM of the Galaxy Note? Makes me glad I got that instead of waited for the GIII.
Yea, I'm super ****ed at how the US carriers are really ****ing us on phones. You can always get an international version though.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Yea, I'm super ****ed at how the US carriers are really ****ing us on phones. You can always get an international version though.
I am not really all that keen on spending that much money on a phone, then having to hack it up just to make it work for me. I got the Note for $250 and it operates fine. I even went as far as getting the full blown coverage on it. Yeah that means I have to play nice with it and not hack it up, but really I am good with that. I still have my Atrix around that I can hack up everyday or every other day. It is OC'd to 1.3GHz and has 1GB of RAM. So really it is just a smaller screen. I do love the Note and the size it gives. Games and everything are much more fun on it. I get about 18 hours of battery from it with what is heavy use for me.

I just cant see spending that kinda money for a Quad Core phone. It isnt going to operate all that much better. Android is not made for Quad Core at this time. There is no evidence that Jelly Bean is going to support it either. So really your just wasting 2 cores.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
No, it has a new 28nm Krait SoC that is far faster than the old Snapdragon S3 in the Note.

Android does support quad cores though, one you have proper multi core support the number of cores doesn't really matter.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Actually ICS is the only version that fully supports multi core. Gingerbread can use it, but not properly. Anything before that is not able to properly use it. The number of cores does matter as well. You will be hard pressed to find anyone willing or able to use a Quad Core CPU for all their daily tasks. It will be so intensive and get the device so hot, that there is no way that it will last a full work day for people. My Note with a 2500MAh battery can just barely make it through my work days of 12 hours. No way a Quad Core would last.

So while in the aspect of Android support, it may not matter. For the use of the device it will. Which if a person cant use it for their daily tasks without being attached to a charger, then it is not something that is needed.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Actually ICS is the only version that fully supports multi core. Gingerbread can use it, but not properly. Anything before that is not able to properly use it. The number of cores does matter as well. You will be hard pressed to find anyone willing or able to use a Quad Core CPU for all their daily tasks. It will be so intensive and get the device so hot, that there is no way that it will last a full work day for people. My Note with a 2500MAh battery can just barely make it through my work days of 12 hours. No way a Quad Core would last.

So while in the aspect of Android support, it may not matter. For the use of the device it will. Which if a person cant use it for their daily tasks without being attached to a charger, then it is not something that is needed.
ICS is the current version of Android so I assumed it would be clear I was referring to it.

Quad cores don't get hot or cause bad battery life, The Quad core Galaxy S3 gets better battery life than your Note despite having a smaller battery.

The number of cores should not matter for properly implemented multi core support, I've done a decent bit of multithreaded program development so I do have some idea how this works.

OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Old 06-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

No it isnt clear cause not all devices are released with it. Case in point brand new Galaxy Note that comes with Gingerbread. Bought no more than a week ago for the first one and 3 days ago for the 2nd. So you cant just mean 1 version of Android when there are several in circulation. I still have a device that has Froyo on it that is in operation to this day. So your basically neglecting the majority of Android devices with your comments and only focusing on the 3% of devices that run an Official version of ICS? Leaving out the other 97% of Android devices that run Gingerbread, Froyo or custom ROMS that dont have proper support. That doesnt make sense to me. I am speaking in general terms cause my point is very valid in the fact that ICS is on a very small fraction of devices to date. Even with my ICS on my Atrix, it still wasnt used properly cause of lack of drivers.

I highly doubt that the GIII with its Quad Core wont get hot. I can get my Atrix hot and my Captivate as well. So trying to claim that a Quad Core wont get hot or cause bad battery life is a joke. You have no physical proof of that. Considering I got 18 hours out of a single charge on my Note, there is no way you can claim that the GIII with Quad Core will get better battery life. From 8am EST to 2AM EST. That is the average amount of time my phone is off the charger. An no, it is not sparingly used to preserve battery power either.

Doesnt matter if you have done development or not. The fact is simple, and you know you cant argue with these facts, if a normal person cant use the phone for their, read their daily tasks, not yours or mine, then the implementation of a Quad Core in a phone is useless. No matter what the OS is in use, the programs in use are of the size of the battery. If it cant last them the day, the length of their day, then for that person the phone is useless.

So keep trying to tell me that the Quad Core is better. Cause until the day I get it in my hands and use it the way I want for as long as I must, then I wont belive it. Seeing is believing. Specs and developmental side doesnt always equate to truths in the real world. What could and should be better isnt always. So no I wont believe the heresay cause if I did I would have never gotten the Note and got it to last me my day for several days straight proving people wrong that the battery will only last 5 hours like they try to claim.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
No it isnt clear cause not all devices are released with it. Case in point brand new Galaxy Note that comes with Gingerbread. Bought no more than a week ago for the first one and 3 days ago for the 2nd. So you cant just mean 1 version of Android when there are several in circulation. I still have a device that has Froyo on it that is in operation to this day. So your basically neglecting the majority of Android devices with your comments and only focusing on the 3% of devices that run an Official version of ICS? Leaving out the other 97% of Android devices that run Gingerbread, Froyo or custom ROMS that dont have proper support. That doesnt make sense to me. I am speaking in general terms cause my point is very valid in the fact that ICS is on a very small fraction of devices to date. Even with my ICS on my Atrix, it still wasnt used properly cause of lack of drivers.

I highly doubt that the GIII with its Quad Core wont get hot. I can get my Atrix hot and my Captivate as well. So trying to claim that a Quad Core wont get hot or cause bad battery life is a joke. You have no physical proof of that. Considering I got 18 hours out of a single charge on my Note, there is no way you can claim that the GIII with Quad Core will get better battery life. From 8am EST to 2AM EST. That is the average amount of time my phone is off the charger. An no, it is not sparingly used to preserve battery power either.

Doesnt matter if you have done development or not. The fact is simple, and you know you cant argue with these facts, if a normal person cant use the phone for their, read their daily tasks, not yours or mine, then the implementation of a Quad Core in a phone is useless. No matter what the OS is in use, the programs in use are of the size of the battery. If it cant last them the day, the length of their day, then for that person the phone is useless.

So keep trying to tell me that the Quad Core is better. Cause until the day I get it in my hands and use it the way I want for as long as I must, then I wont belive it. Seeing is believing. Specs and developmental side doesnt always equate to truths in the real world. What could and should be better isnt always. So no I wont believe the heresay cause if I did I would have never gotten the Note and got it to last me my day for several days straight proving people wrong that the battery will only last 5 hours like they try to claim.
Why would old versions of Android be relevant to a device released with ICS? I suppose you think it is valid to say that Windows doesn't support multi tasking because Windows 3.11 didn't.

So the SG3 has worse battery life because you know it does even with no facts? Because before I made that statement I made sure I could back it up.

Samsung Galaxy Note I717 review: Pushing the envelope - GSMArena.com

Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III review: S to the third - GSMArena.com

Before you criticize the results GSMArena is a respect site and uses a consistent testing methodology so those results are accurate. I guess you must think your Note is useless since it has worse battery life than the Galaxy S3.

No offense but insisting that you are right simply because and no facts will change that is not a reasonable position to take.