Rumor: Google to use Motorola merger to launch its own phones? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > News > Mobile
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Destroyer of headlines

Default Rumor: Google to use Motorola merger to launch its own phones?

When Google announced its plans to acquire Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion back in August 2011, Google claimed that the main reason for the deal was to acquire Motorola's many patents. It also said that, in terms of its Android mobile operating system, Google would treat Motorola as a separate company and still offer the same deals for other smartphone makers to release devices based on Android.

Now a new story on Business Insider claims that isn't really true at all. The story, which uses unnamed sources, claims that while Google may at first wanted to purchase Motorola just for its patents, it has now changed its thinking and will now use the Motorola business to launch its own branded smartphones and tablets.

Officially, a Google spokesperson said they could not comment as the deal to merge Google and Motorola is not yet closed. The deal has been approved in the US and Europe but it still has to be approved by regulators in China, Taiwan and Israel before it becomes official.

If true, this would mean that Google wants to control the process of designing, manufacturing and finally selling smartphones and tablets with the Android OS on its own once the deal to merge with Motorola is completed. This mirrors what Apple does with its iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad.

The article speculates that if Google does indeed go through with this plan, it could benefit Microsoft as other smartphone makers like Samsung, HTC and LG could jump ship on Android and start using Windows Phone in their devices.

Source

Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Rumor: Google to use Motorola merger to launch its own phones?

Google already has the Nexus line of phones which they control all of the hardware and software for.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

True, but they dont manufacturer the phones. With this they could actually control the manufacturing as well as the hardware and software. They could in essence control everything. Instead of leaving it up to Samsung, HTC and other companies to build the devices for them with their specs.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
True, but they dont manufacturer the phones. With this they could actually control the manufacturing as well as the hardware and software. They could in essence control everything. Instead of leaving it up to Samsung, HTC and other companies to build the devices for them with their specs.
Technically Motorola doesn't manufacture anything either, they just select the specifications for Pegatron or Foxconn to build the devices to. Granted they do control it to a lower level than Google currently does.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 04-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

If Google actually opened up some plants and made phones... I would buy one in a heartbeat. I'd imagine they'd have some great quality control. Google.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Jumper View Post
Technically Motorola doesn't manufacture anything either, they just select the specifications for Pegatron or Foxconn to build the devices to. Granted they do control it to a lower level than Google currently does.
True. But as you said, Google would have more control than they currently do. Meaning they could create devices with the next generation of software in mind. Of course they still have to deal with the carriers and getting those updates pushed unless they did something like Microsoft that allowed you to update the device via PC. Which would be awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_extreme View Post
If Google actually opened up some plants and made phones... I would buy one in a heartbeat. I'd imagine they'd have some great quality control. Google.
The good thing is yes they would be Google phones, the bad thing is they would be by Motorola.

Joking aside I actually own a Motorola Atrix and it isnt that bad. Being the first dual core phone on the market and first 4G HSPA+ phone on the market, when it was released, it still rocks to this day. It has handled everything I have thrown at it. So it is a good sign if they did decide to make phones.

The thing is I heard they are already trying to sell Motorola Mobility off. So at the same time that this rumor is going around, so is another one that they are trying to sell MM, even before they get full approval of actually owning it.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread