yet another HL2 save problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

executioner3211

Solid State Member
Note: Sorry if you're sick of these already, but 3 hours of frantic searching has turned up nothing so I've got to ask.

I've got it all installed perfectly (well, CS:S wont work but I dont mind for now) and am really liking the game, but the problem is that whenever the game saves (either by autosave, quick save or normal save), it crashes to the desktop with the error message "Could not acquire necessary game files because connection to steam servers was lost". I've heard of only a handful of people with this same problem (but maybe that's just me) and so far I've not found a fix. I tried using NIS' firewall to block hl2.exe but that didnt help and I'm really aggrivated now because I can't get past the first autosave point (unless i disable autosave, in which case i can get to the part where you have to head to the roof before I get the same error message even though it shoudnt be trying to save)

Please, if anyone knows the solution, tell me :)

I tried using NIS' firewall to block hl2.exe but that didnt help
Why on earth would you want to block HL2 when you're playing HL2? Besides, STEAM does the communications and must be connected.
in which case i can get to the part where you have to head to the roof before I get the same error message even though it shoudnt be trying to save
Sounds like you're hitting the map-change, not an autosave. You're going to get a small delay as the map changes as you go along, just like in the original Half-Life.

Sounds like either your STEAM installation or your HL2 installation is corrupted. Reinstall HL2, try again, and if that doesn't work, reinstall them both. Make sure you keep your account information handy and your key (if you purchased retail).

Thanks, have tried full reinstalls of both Steam and HL2 but still get the same problem. Think I'm going to contact Steam support, so thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom