Yar's Revenge and a Beer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShoobieRat

Fully Optimized
So I dragged out my Atari system last night, and I'm sitting on the floor with my gf and a beer playing Yar's Revenge, and I'm having a blast. The game's so simple and yet so fun...and I get to wondering..."how on Earth did we get so complicated?"

Seriously, though...We've got this constant struggle in the gaming industry for more-more-more and more-realistic-than-real and thousands of things going on at once...

Then there's classic games like PONG, BOLO, Yar's Revenge, Space Invaders, etc, that are so simple and yet they can easily hook us again into multi-hour sessions.

So my question is, how comes we haven't seen any new classic-style games? Why does everything have to be 3D and realistic and crap... (Not that I'm opposed to the new stuff, but I still like the old.)

*sigh*

:( :( :(

I have been looking for the old atari astroids for the pc. I used to have it on my old 486 running windows 3.1 but I cant did it up any where. I liked the old games like missle command, centipede and milipede. I just cant find them out there on the internet, in the atari style.

oh i wish time and time again that i could find a good emulator so that i may once again return to the days of missle command, and centipede. or even the first mario bros that i spent hours and hours playing straight through to the end to beat it in one sitting on my ORIGINAL Gameboy... you remember that 5 pound silver monstrosity compaired to this slick folding lighter than my cell phone junk i just got for my wife... and in color to!?!?!? ahh have they no respect for the love of what a Gameboy embrased in it's day and age...
that cool green screan with that pixelated lcd screen... the bar that would rise up the screen every so often, and the Nintendo logo that would drop with that soothing "chalinggggg" i can still picture it as if it was yesterday... as that gameboy was the only game system i had, and i nearly killed myself winning a bet with mom to get it...
dad said they rot your brain and he wouldn't allow it... so one day running AAU track the 1600 meter race, mom tells me if i win, she'll get me a gameboy... i look down the steps of Duke University's stadium seats at my competition warming up on the track... this was almost regionals... they were all bigger, faster... but they didn't have my determination...
i ran down the steps, bolted onto the track and streched eager to get the race started... we lined up on the rubber like track there in what looked like a Roman Colosseum i could feel the summer heat under my shoes...
800 meters into the race it felt like my shoes were going to melt... i was in 4th place and my chest was going to cave in on me, i had been running too hard, to fast. as i passed by the stands there on the home streach just before the last lap i saw it...
there it was in someone else's hands... My Gameboy...
"challiiinnnngggg" i could hear it power up and the words coming down... Mario Bros. Tetris... Dr. Mario, Teanage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!!!
i won that race.
i miss my gameboy :::::whipes tear from cheak::::
thanks for the reminder Shoobie! they are such wonderful memories...
i'll feel like i'm cheating on my memories everytime i play FFXI now...

ahh the good ole days.
i'm going to hide now... i'm still at work and all emotional...

:D
~KB

This is irony...

Here I am talking about missing Atari days, when low and behold I'm in the WorstBuy (for some god awful unkown reason) and there this be!

This is COOL...No really, it is! Look:

atari_tv.jpg

This almost validates BestBuy's existance...

It's a classic Atari 2600 controller, and you hook the cable into the video in and audio in ports on your TV, pop in 4 batteries, and WHAM! You have an Atari 2600 game console in your hands! This is freaking bloody sweet!

It's got 10 built in games, including Centipede, Gravitar, Yar's Revenge, Asteroids and more!

And for $20 who can beat that!? Now I can have Atari...and have it anywhere there's a TV!

Old-School is back, baby! WOOOOOO!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom