XP causing games to crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
XP comes complete with DirectX 8.1 - I had the same sort of problem using XP with games. I also have an Nvidia graphics card. Windows Update will give you a driver update version 3 something or other for Nvidia graphics, as this is the most recent one that has been digitally signed by Microsoft. I fixed my problem by getting a more up to date Driver from www.nvidia.co.uk - Check out the DRIVER ARCHIVE currently they have 4.0.8 ( this hasnt been signed by Microsoft as yet) so this is still a 'beta' version of the drivers. My games have improved loads, really smooth, no grinding to a halt. This driver definately improves as stated on the Nvidia website by 25% !!!! I would recommend you download this. 14mb all together, worth it though. I rolled the driver back in XP to the previous one suggested by Windows Update, and had the problems all over again, reinstalled the 4.0.5 version drivers again, and it sorted it all out again, so this definately solves problem - Let me know how you get on

Forgot to say - If this fails to work - seeing as your using XP you could then try the following

Go into device manager
Display adaptors
Nvidia Graphics card should be visable - Check that you only have 1 display adaptor listed. Duplicates should be removed. UNINSTALL even if you only have one. Reboot the PC, and it will detect the NVIDIA hardware. Then download the patch from www.nvidia.co.uk and this will definately work.

Thanks coxy012001, azury and Geforce here is the latest.. well after a download of windows 1sp ?? (not sure of the name too much time has passed) that took until 3 in the morning last Friday the download and install failed in the end. After the error occured the system stated that I need to restore my XP (which I haven't since it seems to run fine) Anyway It seemed that the pc was fixed.. hitman ran without problem, but I then loaded need for speed porshe unleashed.. BAM same problem .. I'm going to shoot for the Nvidia drivers tonight and see what happens.. To be continued.........

sounds like your drivers are corrupt - i would try downloading the latest patch from www.nvidia.co.uk

Drivers
Windows 2000 / XP Drivers
DRIVER ARCHIVE
Beta version 40.72 this hasnt been signed off yet, but this cleared the same problem that I previously had that you are experiencing now

Sorry I'm just getting back about this... I'll have to try the Nvidia solution cause right now nothing else has worked I have been just living with it for now.. to many other things to work on with the holidays... I did try downloaded from Nvidia before and I could get into the games at all... Because I have a dial up connection also I have tried to download the windows sevice pack 1 and it fails halfway through. I'll try the Nvidia solution tonight. 12/03/02 Thanks agian

Well I've tried just about everything .. I downloaded the the driver from Nvidia including their latewst one dated 12/3 and although I notice an increase in speed the games still crash out to a balck screen. In talking to the tech help from the company that built my pc they said it's the game it's self. If it's the game then why does it wokr fine on windows 98? I'm not sure what else I can do. any suggestions?

Try downloading DX 9 final, nVidia 41.09 Drivers.

Another easy quick fix is try using the compatiblility Manager. Right click on the games shortcut, goto properties, Compatibility Tab, and select the OS u said ran those games (98). Should work fine most of the time.

If that doesnt work, try going and installing the Application Compatibility Toolkit From the XP cd. its in "D:\SUPPORT\TOOLS\ACT20.EXE" in the XP pro cd. (I dont weather xp home edition has it or not)

Also see the programs running on the background. Ive had problem like ures, with games just dying. Turn some of them off (the useless ones).

Also see ure cds are clean and ure cd drive is not messed up.

If none of these work, try reinstalling.

Windows XP Solution for Blue Screen is Shutdown/Restart without warning!

Wheasy said:
My Computer is doing the same thing

Wheasy, make sure you have the correct DirectX version for the game. Also get the latest patches from the game's website. If that doesn't work then tell me.

ok Here's My Problem. I am using Windows xp pro. And when I hold down a key for about 5-10 seconds or when I press the same keys over and over really fast the computer completely shuts down. This happens not just in games but at any stage in windows. I installed dx 8 and im still having the same problem. I really need help with this.

Dustin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom