Wow IW Really screwed MW2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You couldn't anyway, at least not for online purposes. Once the CD KEY is registered it is registered, Punkbuster and Vac will throw you off before you even connect to a server.

You missed the point on thatone as well, Oreo. On a regular game that's not tied to another application can be sold. Look atall the games people sell in the BST area. Those are normal CD key games, and can be sold to a different person.

Since you have to use Steam, I'm definately not getting this game. I don't really like to have to use Steam in the first place, but my Steam doesn't work on my University's network that I go to. So I can't even play offline games because in order to even log into steam or PLAY OFFLINE I have to be able to connect to the Steam network. To **** with that. Very disappointed to hear IW did this... Could have been a great game, and I was going to buy it right away (glad I didn't preorder it...wouldn't be able to play it online).

I have no problems with Steam as I play TF2 all the time. But with that being said, I would not like to be required to link my non-steam game to Steam. That's just dumb. Just one more reason I won't be getting this game. I absolutely hate IW now.

I don't even care if the game is good, I watched plenty of videos and the SP looks very fun but there are plenty of other games to play with nothing against them. I just got Dragon Age and this game is epicly awesome. I don't regret not buying MW2 one bit.

You missed the point on thatone as well, Oreo. On a regular game that's not tied to another application can be sold. Look atall the games people sell in the BST area. Those are normal CD key games, and can be sold to a different person.

Since you have to use Steam, I'm definately not getting this game. I don't really like to have to use Steam in the first place, but my Steam doesn't work on my University's network that I go to. So I can't even play offline games because in order to even log into steam or PLAY OFFLINE I have to be able to connect to the Steam network. To **** with that. Very disappointed to hear IW did this... Could have been a great game, and I was going to buy it right away (glad I didn't preorder it...wouldn't be able to play it online).

But lets face it, who buys a CoD game for the SP ? hardly anyone. So you still couldn't resell it unless all the person cared about was SP.

I think most of you have bad misconceptions about steam. It just isn't a problem at all. It's a usefull tool, it auto patches games, it allows you to speak during them, it prevents game pirating, it allows you to have a permanent back up of games forever, it has free Voip. I mean fair enough if it doesn't work on Dialup, or your Uni's network. But apart from that, i see very little excuse for it.

It's just so usefull.

You are also all forgetting IW use Steam because it provides a very good anti piracy measure aswell as an anti cheat system. It is not fair to expect a developer to release a game with no anti piracy measures these days. Personally, if i was a dev, i wouldn't release PC games at all. Yes they are great and better than console games - but if i'm a developer all i care about is money because in the end i'm just another money making business, and Computer games are an expensive market:

a) the game retails for significantly less
b) 80percent of people playing are using pirated copies
c) never sell as many as releasing on PS3 or Xbox
d) hardware and software compatibility is a nightmare

Can you honestly blame them for not porting games, using DRM and all that stuff ?

But lets face it, who buys a CoD game for the SP ? hardly anyone. So you still couldn't resell it unless all the person cared about was SP.
I have bought used PC games and still play MP on them. As long as the key is valid, it can be used online. If the key is found to be used on 2 different machines at the same time, then it blocks you from using online (or bans you...depends on the server).

I think most of you have bad misconceptions about steam. It just isn't a problem at all. It's a usefull tool, it auto patches games, it allows you to speak during them, it prevents game pirating, it allows you to have a permanent back up of games forever, it has free Voip. I mean fair enough if it doesn't work on Dialup, or your Uni's network. But apart from that, i see very little excuse for it.

It's just so usefull.

I like having control over my games myself. I don't want a program telling me I have to do this or that in order to play MY game that I BOUGHT. Vent allows you to speak over games as well; so does Xfire.

Steam does not prevent pirating. This I will make a bet with you on; I've seen tons of Steam cracks before out there on the web. Some are only so you can play SP, but some DO bypass MP. All these anti-piracy checks only hurt the real consumers because we buy the game and have to put up with all the crap. Pirates get it for free, and choose whether or not they have to deal with it (cracked releases tend to not have the stupid protection installed on them; so I will occassionally d/l a version from the web and then use my legit key just so I don't have stupid anti-piracy software on my machine).

And there's still a lot of people that use Dial-up around places, and a lot of gamers go to Universities. And a majority of those universities have ports blocked...and guess which ones are blocked? The ones Steam uses. I work for my school at their support desk and I'm talking with some of the guys higher up than me there if there any workarounds for getting Steam to work so that I can use it in my dorm room. Heck, even stuff that WoW needs has trouble getting through our school's network.

You are also all forgetting IW use Steam because it provides a very good anti piracy measure aswell as an anti cheat system. It is not fair to expect a developer to release a game with no anti piracy measures these days. Personally, if i was a dev, i wouldn't release PC games at all. Yes they are great and better than console games - but if i'm a developer all i care about is money because in the end i'm just another money making business, and Computer games are an expensive market:
What about PunkBuster? And don't most dedicated servers kick cheaters anyway if they are found out they are cheating? Now you can't do that on MW2...if somebody is cheating and the system doesn't catch them, there's no server admins to boot people. What good is that? If companies spent less time on tryig to make anti-piracy measures and stopped including DRM in games, more people would buy them, and the companies would have more money to spend on other things (making the game itself better, optimization, customization, etc).

a) the game retails for significantly less
b) 80percent of people playing are using pirated copies
c) never sell as many as releasing on PS3 or Xbox
d) hardware and software compatibility is a nightmare
a) Which is a better thing; especially nowadays because more people could afford it.
b) I'd like to see where you got those figures, especially if your beloved Steam breaks piracy so much. Guarantee that most of the people that pirate PC games, actually go out and buy the game. "Try-before-you-buy".
c) There are more consoles than PC's, but PC's have a more dedicated community and can keep a game's lifespan going on longer (Halflife? Counter Strike? Look at all the mods that keeps these going).
d) It's harder to code for PS3's and 360's. PC's you can have more freedom for optimizing a game.

Can you honestly blame them for not porting games, using DRM and all that stuff ?
Yes, I can, and I have. Hence why I am not planning on buying MW2.

I have bought used PC games and still play MP on them. As long as the key is valid, it can be used online. If the key is found to be used on 2 different machines at the same time, then it blocks you from using online (or bans you...depends on the server).

I like having control over my games myself. I don't want a program telling me I have to do this or that in order to play MY game that I BOUGHT. Vent allows you to speak over games as well; so does Xfire.

Steam does not prevent pirating. This I will make a bet with you on; I've seen tons of Steam cracks before out there on the web. Some are only so you can play SP, but some DO bypass MP. All these anti-piracy checks only hurt the real consumers because we buy the game and have to put up with all the crap. Pirates get it for free, and choose whether or not they have to deal with it (cracked releases tend to not have the stupid protection installed on them; so I will occassionally d/l a version from the web and then use my legit key just so I don't have stupid anti-piracy software on my machine).

And there's still a lot of people that use Dial-up around places, and a lot of gamers go to Universities. And a majority of those universities have ports blocked...and guess which ones are blocked? The ones Steam uses. I work for my school at their support desk and I'm talking with some of the guys higher up than me there if there any workarounds for getting Steam to work so that I can use it in my dorm room. Heck, even stuff that WoW needs has trouble getting through our school's network.

What about PunkBuster? And don't most dedicated servers kick cheaters anyway if they are found out they are cheating? Now you can't do that on MW2...if somebody is cheating and the system doesn't catch them, there's no server admins to boot people. What good is that? If companies spent less time on tryig to make anti-piracy measures and stopped including DRM in games, more people would buy them, and the companies would have more money to spend on other things (making the game itself better, optimization, customization, etc).

a) Which is a better thing; especially nowadays because more people could afford it.
b) I'd like to see where you got those figures, especially if your beloved Steam breaks piracy so much. Guarantee that most of the people that pirate PC games, actually go out and buy the game. "Try-before-you-buy".
c) There are more consoles than PC's, but PC's have a more dedicated community and can keep a game's lifespan going on longer (Halflife? Counter Strike? Look at all the mods that keeps these going).
d) It's harder to code for PS3's and 360's. PC's you can have more freedom for optimizing a game.

Yes, I can, and I have. Hence why I am not planning on buying MW2.

There are no decent Steam based games which allow you to play online. Well you can, but only with other pirates on pirated servers which is crap. I don't know anyone which has decided they can afford £25 for a game but not £40. People will pay up and beyond this point (MW2 is a perfect example with Inflated prices) ofcourse devs prefer higher priced games, which PC games are not.

Only extremely well known PC games do well, like The Sims, Half Life. And all online based games. SP Games fail because they are so pirated. That figure i got was from a report conducted at a call center, where 80percent of people phoning in for game issues couldn't provide a valid CD key.

And i am not arguing about MW2's lack of dedicated servers. I totally agree, they should have them. IWnet is a joke, however it still prevents piracy because people can't play online - and thats all people care about for cod.

And don't be so stupid. So your telling me, if you suddenly took over Infinity Ward you would pump lots of money into the PC version even though you said yourself it's a smaller market, and then not provide anti piracy measures and let everyone pirate it, andstill not care about the lower retail price and thus less profit and still give the community exactley what it wants ? You would really fail as a business person.

I don't want it to be how it is, i wish they did spend loads on PC games, i wish there was no anti piracy, i wish there was no DRM - but it's just so unrealistic and unfair to expect that of developers.

And if PC's are so much easier to program for, isn't it funny how they need higher system requirements and don't run aswell as the console version until you spend ludacrous amounts of money, and then everyone gets different errors to each other because everyones computer is different.

Only extremely well known PC games do well, like The Sims, Half Life. And all online based games. SP Games fail because they are so pirated. That figure i got was from a report conducted at a call center, where 80percent of people phoning in for game issues couldn't provide a valid CD key.
Most pirates actually do buy the game if they like it. Ever read the readme files in a cracked release? I have when I downloaded it for my legit games. They say "if you like this game, then buy it!" Even the crackers encourage you to buy the game if you like it.

And i am not arguing about MW2's lack of dedicated servers. I totally agree, they should have them. IWnet is a joke, however it still prevents piracy because people can't play online - and thats all people care about for cod.
THere's always a way around things. Crackers live for reverse-engineering things to get things to work how they want.

And don't be so stupid. So your telling me, if you suddenly took over Infinity Ward you would pump lots of money into the PC version even though you said yourself it's a smaller market, and then not provide anti piracy measures and let everyone pirate it, andstill not care about the lower retail price and thus less profit and still give the community exactley what it wants ? You would really fail as a business person.
Pump more money into it? Yes, I'd have to because IW originally crippled the game, so I'd have to pump more money into it to fix what they did. The PC gamer community isn't as small of a market as you'd think.

And if PC's are so much easier to program for, isn't it funny how they need higher system requirements and don't run aswell as the console version until you spend ludacrous amounts of money, and then everyone gets different errors to each other because everyones computer is different.

...They have high system requirements because of the detail put into them. Why do you think PC games usually look way better than console versions? Oh, and each time a new console comes out you have to get the new console ($300-600 on initial release for the "good" version of the system). You can usually upgrade your videocard/RAM for about the same price. PC's also are able to be patched easier since the game is already installed on the HDD. You have to install patches as well as run the game off the disc on consoles.

When you are sitting at 14.4Kbps, and it takes 10-15 minutes to load a single webpage , even a text based page, it takes a LONG time, that, and I have a single phone line, I can only use the phone line for a few minutes to a few hours at a time, right before bed, so, that would mean I would never be able to play CoD MW2 when I have time off, which is very little now. But yea, FEAR 2 was one of the best examples ever for there being a crack released to avoid steam... With in 6 hours, there was a repack in russian that bypassed steam entirely, even for MP, best part, after the install, it would be entirely english in game. Afterwards, even though it was only playable on steam, I still purchased the game, sitting in my closet, un-registered, just sitting there.

So no, not everything is bad, it is just, people who want to be legit and are screwed, in the end sometimes have to do things so they can do something they should, in the first place, be able to do legitimately.

Those are my previous connections, I was at Northern for a little while, moved to Coatesville PA for awhile, then moved back in with my parents due to financial issues, and all that is available is crappy dial up, and terrible phone lines... Not even a cell tower close enough to send a txt msg.

I am sure an admin could look at my posts from middle of the year and look at the IP and tell ya, it's the truth....

If the pc market is so small why pump money into IWNET? Dedicated server program is already created so you could easily mod it like the community has and pump up graphics.. ALL WAY LESS $$ and Time wasted... They could spend that extra time coding a anti cheat system to rival PB...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom