Wow GIANT Crysis news! DX10 on XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, wait, wait. This iss awesome. However, can you run in DX10 mode with XP in the first place? I'm speaking from ignorance on the subject so forgive me but I thought DX10 isn't available on XP? If that's so howdo you run it in dx10 mode? Can someone clarify?

Well the release date is apparently November 15th, I'd have to assume they had to have already gone gold, meaning they are no longer adding things to the actual game. They could however release a patch that fixes this...
but that could be avoided by not downloading the patch, or even unplugging your Cat5, correct?

Wait, wait, wait. This iss awesome. However, can you run in DX10 mode with XP in the first place? I'm speaking from ignorance on the subject so forgive me but I thought DX10 isn't available on XP? If that's so howdo you run it in dx10 mode? Can someone clarify?

DX10 is a Vista exclusive, however there are some workarounds, or at least there are rumors. I believe I have seen the website though..

No, this is not technically DX10 mode. It's like forcing the extra quality settings to run under DX9. There are still some minute details missing, so I've read.

minute details or not. This shows that the advantages that DX10 could offer is still a ways off considering that pushing dx9 to the max here is still topping out all but the best of systems. It makes me mad that they locked those settings out. But I think that M$ may have made them do it, and they very could have made it an easy work around on purpose. Either way its still cool, and I cant wait to run the retail version on my new rig this spring.

Yes it's certainly giving my rig a nice workout, especially during the cutscenes. A bit caught off guard that it's only using one of my cores. I was expecting quad core support on this game but maybe that's just because this is a demo. I think the other cores would help alot.

someone post that evil avatar link again XD. I think one of the few functions that arent 'unlocked' is single object motion blur. not full camera blur, just single object. And a few textures. That's all I took away from the "omgdx10onvista" flame war thing.
I think its great and shows that xp Can handle Some of the DX10 workload. I do feel MS should stop beign cheap and lasy and just rework it to go on vista. you can't tell my MS can't afford it lol.

Of course I myself love vista, have 0 problems with it. Only thing being its a bit slower cause I'm running junk ram.. for now. That'll be fixed soon enough.

Hey Pdawg I posted a find earlier on something that had to do with the cores not being utilized, lemme find it. Since more people are reading this and I wanted some more testers XD

Hey guys check this out. Someone posted something in the big EA argument thread I was in XD It might be helpful. I didnt read all 8 pages here cause my eyes are startign to blur but ignore me if this was covered.
Posted by some guy:
"Just something I found on mine that may be affecting other people. In task manager if you right click on the crysis thread and click set affinity mine was only set to use one core. I set it to use core 0 and 1 and now crysis runs on very high everything, no anti-aliasing like a dream.

Specs:
Core 2 Duo 6300 @ 2.4ghz
8800 GTX
2gb OCZ 800mhz ram
Vista Ultimate 32bit
month old beta drivers

Crysis Settings:
1440x900
All settings to very high
no anti- aliasing

Now it runs beatifully.
"

Only person there, out of people with Ultra's, dual GTX's 3.8 quad's, to actually 'supposedly' run fine on very high. Even if AA is off.

Im curious, can anyone here try this out? Can it be manually set to run 4 cores? can cook try this out with an ultra? this is a ray of hope for me here haha. I'm just super curious now.

If this has been covered ignore me and maybe let me know XD Thanks!

See if you can manually enable all 4 cores, and IF it makes a difference. I think the guy might be full of **** but you never know. I'm hopin hes right on the money. Would mean good things.

well assuming it works for Crysis: Run the game, alt-tab out, go to ctrl-alt-del to Task Manager, go to processes, find the Crysis process, right click, scroll down to Set Affinity, Set affinity to Core 0 and Core 1.

If it works and you see better performance, please report back here so we know. Thanks.

Somewhere a Crytek dev is saying "oops" and Bill Gates is saying "someone's gonna die"

This is unbelievable. This is SUCH bad news for Vista and DX10, good news for us though!! Yes, it's technically not DX10, but this confirms my idea of DX10 as DX9 with more headroom but currently limited by poor Vista optimization. So in essence, DX9 is visually capable of whatever DX10 is capable of.

I'm trying this immediately! Somebody from Crytek is gonna have a lot of explaining to do. There's no way they can restrict us now that we know it's possible. If they do we should and will protest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom