Would there be a risk of "dieing of fear" in future gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Now obviously true virtual reality is a long way off, if we're talking star trek style holodeck.

What I mean is a little more realistic. Just that when wearing the helmet, the game surrounds your vision totally, your seeing through the eyes of the character so to speak. I don't doubt that'll come along in the near future.

I was pondering how good shooters would be when it's like that but a thought did cross my mind. Lets say your playing a horror title like dead space, resident evil 5(not scary but they still try and make enemies jump out at you, just very badly) etc. If it feels like your really in the game then a gruesome bleeding mangled corpse jumping out at you and grabbing you is going to be pretty **** freaky. I had a few jumps playing dead space as it is, never mind if the game totally filled my vision and the graphics were so **** good(avatar style) it looked almost identical to real life.

Do you think if games get as immersive as that, or more so if we have actual virtual reality, there is a risk people could have a heart attack from fear?

Now obviously true virtual reality is a long way off, if we're talking star trek style holodeck.

What I mean is a little more realistic. Just that when wearing the helmet, the game surrounds your vision totally, your seeing through the eyes of the character so to speak. I don't doubt that'll come along in the near future.

I was pondering how good shooters would be when it's like that but a thought did cross my mind. Lets say your playing a horror title like dead space, resident evil 5(not scary but they still try and make enemies jump out at you, just very badly) etc. If it feels like your really in the game then a gruesome bleeding mangled corpse jumping out at you and grabbing you is going to be pretty **** freaky. I had a few jumps playing dead space as it is, never mind if the game totally filled my vision and the graphics were so **** good(avatar style) it looked almost identical to real life.

Do you think if games get as immersive as that, or more so if we have actual virtual reality, there is a risk people could have a heart attack from fear?

Definitely, it just depends on what the heart attack trigger is. Even with current titles, people with bad hearts can get frightened enough to make them have heart attacks (remember that video where you're suppose to find something wrong with the room, and then the excorsist (sp?) girl pops up. I personally know someone that had to go to the hospital over that video because of anxiety attacks. I know that's not as bad as a heart attack, but just proving a point that this could very well happen.

You think the the graphics are good avatar style? Idk, for cgi, I thought avatar was pretty crappy. I mean, stuff in other movies looks way better. Those prawns in district 9 look real. The avatar guys do not.

hmm I suppose, though surely strobe light effects on a large TV and a "tv" which fills your vision are the same thing? If your epileptic you'll have a seizure, if your not you shouldn't?

There has been at least 2 cases in the last year or so where kids played for a days straight only to have a attack. And they were not epileptic.

You think the the graphics are good avatar style? Idk, for cgi, I thought avatar was pretty crappy. I mean, stuff in other movies looks way better. Those prawns in district 9 look real. The avatar guys do not.

This is true.

More on topic. This won't happen.

You really think classification boards will pass games that let us do all the gruesome scary stuff whilst being totally photo realistic and nearly indistinguishable from reality ?. No, they won't.

I am not sure i'd want to play a totally photo realistic game where if i shoot someone in there head, it realisticly recreates it. You'd get post traumatic stress.

There has been at least 2 cases in the last year or so where kids played for a days straight only to have a attack. And they were not epileptic.

Then they were epileptic, but obviously a very mild form. By definition if you have an epliptic fit you must be epileptic, surely.

'They were not known to be epileptic yeh, sure. But 'They were not epileptic' ? just no. Whatever whack doctor said that needs to rethink.

Oops double post. Mods merge post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom