Will there ever be classics again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Power

Mr Beans Sidekick
Seriously I find PC games lacking these days. I remember how much fun I use to have playing the old CS on WON back before steam. And playing UT99, etc. Those were the best gaming times ever.. I had much more fun playing CS 1.5 then I will ever have playing CSS or CS 1.6 ( steam )... I dont know why though.

It's all subjective but I consider games like HL2 a classic and I'm sure many people can name other recent games as well like Oblivion and etc.

As for CS 1.6 I don't find it that much different than 1.5 on WON in terms of fun factor. I guess when you get older gaming can seem less fun. What I mean by that is I play way less videogames now than when I was younger (I'm 23 now) so that could possibly effect your perception of games today. But it is true that many games today seem to pay more attention to technology than detail to gameplay.

enemy territory
deux ex
half life 1+2
far fry
baldurs gate series and planescape torment
the elders scroll series
c&c series
transport tycoon! (yes i loved it)
homeworld series

there's some classics right there sure some are old but by god i loved them. As you can see some modern games are classics to me so i think in time we`ll all look back and really see what we loved playing back in 2000-2006.

Oh come on... Yes, there will be classics.

These games you mention were like introductions to their genres. I will admit that there has been a lack of creativity as of late, particularly with the strategy games, but your feeling of "classics" is largely due to nostalgia. Things tend to seem better than they actually were in hindsight.

Give Oblivion a nice playthrough, and look back on it in five years.

They are potential classics.... No one knew that Doom or Diablo etc would be classics when first released. All the newer games mentioned here have that potential. One I might add is Company of Heroes, if they get the online play fixed.

like Tetris, Door Door, Donky Kong, Dig-Dug, Super Mario, Space Invaders, Galaxian, etc... those are classics. NON of 3D games aren't called CLASSICS IMO. it has to be 2D graphix, dude.

- Warcraft III & expo (was both great RTS game that until some months ago I was playing them.)

-Diablo 2 & LoD (was also good RPG)

-Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (was really grewat indeed single player and multiplayer.)

-The GODLY Starcraft (its one of the best strategy game that will never die.)

i personally have never played it but i cant believe the SIMS franchise hasn't been mentioned. i'm pretty sure that's one of the most widely played games of the recent past, along with WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom