Why are people such jerks in online games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
Okay, so I play MW2 a lot since it's about the only fps I have at this time. Not the best game...and obviously not the best community. But what kills me is how people act online. As you can tell by my location thingy under my name, I live in southern West Virginia so I have an obvious "hick accent". I can't speak or anything in games without people saying **** about it. " Oh you're you must be incest " and making "yuck yuck yuck" sounds. I mean..it's kind of funny to a point how they act but it just gets annoying.

Seriously..is the community just made up of 12 year old kids that think everyone sounds the same? That's what I generally ask these people..I'm like dude, have you even gotten out of your house or gone to college? Obviously not because because you act like there is no diversity in the world :|

I just can't get it...why do people feel the need to insult you over silly things such like this? I can't control the way I sound and I personally have no issue with it...so I don't get why it's such a prime target.

I'm sure everyone has their gripes about online communities and I know none of them are close to even being perfect....I just can't get it in my head why people are like this. Sorry for the rant, just had to get it out...and I'm sure other people have some input they can share about their dislikes :|

Well, technically you could control it but you'd have to go to a professional to get help. Actors do it so they can speak like a brit and vice versa.

And yeah, people just say whatever is on their mind when they're on the internet and there is going to be no lasting consequences, especially when it is concerning someone aggravating them in a game lol.

And the thing about the southern accent, is it sounds the least intelligent of all the English accents. I think there is a difference though between someone just speaking with a southern accent and someone who grew up in a complete hill billy southern locale. One sounds way dumber. Even if you just have a regular southern accent, people will say whatever they can to you when they're frustrated. It's just gonna happen. Luckily, on pc, we really don't have any 12 year olds. It's mainly people in their twenties with some teens and older people mixed in. I happen to be a teen (19).

They're jerks because when you're online you're anonymous for the most part and can get away with stuff much more easily than in real life.

Most are just immature kids....they will grow up someday and realize how stupid they acted.

Don't let them get you down.

Well, technically you could control it but you'd have to go to a professional to get help. Actors do it so they can speak like a brit and vice versa.

And yeah, people just say whatever is on their mind when they're on the internet and there is going to be no lasting consequences, especially when it is concerning someone aggravating them in a game lol.

And the thing about the southern accent, is it sounds the least intelligent of all the English accents. I think there is a difference though between someone just speaking with a southern accent and someone who grew up in a complete hill billy southern locale. One sounds way dumber. Even if you just have a regular southern accent, people will say whatever they can to you when they're frustrated. It's just gonna happen. Luckily, on pc, we really don't have any 12 year olds. It's mainly people in their twenties with some teens and older people mixed in. I happen to be a teen (19).

Well yea, I know with professional help it can change. And it's slowly changed a tad bit since I've been going to college (bigger city, more people, etc).

I still don't see why it's so looked down on. It's something you're born with...and like I said, I know a lot of people that have came out of the area that have gone on to do more than a lot of others will ever get to say they will.

I know they do it just because it's the easiest way to annoy people..I just don't see the point in it. Especially when it comes from people that sound almost as bad as me or from the people that are obviously <15.

About the only game I've ever played where people didn't give me **** about it was WoW. I guess that's because it's all nerds and not a bunch of teens that need to flex their e-peen like mw2 is full of.

Chances are you were destroying them in the game - or someone else was - they were irritated about it - so they lashed out at whom ever they could. It is the way it is......no responsibility for your behavior anymore. SO, I agree with others an this thread that the whole anonymous thing on the internet just makes it worse. Try not to take it personally - although I certainly can understand why you would.

I find it completely useless to talk to people in arena shooters like COD. If there is a setting for it, try to have it automatically mute all players.

Okay, so I play MW2 a lot since it's about the only fps I have at this time. Not the best game...and obviously not the best community. But what kills me is how people act online. As you can tell by my location thingy under my name, I live in southern West Virginia so I have an obvious "hick accent". I can't speak or anything in games without people saying **** about it. " Oh you're you must be incest " and making "yuck yuck yuck" sounds. I mean..it's kind of funny to a point how they act but it just gets annoying.

Seriously..is the community just made up of 12 year old kids that think everyone sounds the same? That's what I generally ask these people..I'm like dude, have you even gotten out of your house or gone to college? Obviously not because because you act like there is no diversity in the world :|

In a word... YES

I just can't get it...why do people feel the need to insult you over silly things such like this? I can't control the way I sound and I personally have no issue with it...so I don't get why it's such a prime target.

I'm sure everyone has their gripes about online communities and I know none of them are close to even being perfect....I just can't get it in my head why people are like this. Sorry for the rant, just had to get it out...and I'm sure other people have some input they can share about their dislikes :|

MW2 has the worst community. There really isn't anything to due but quit playing.. or go to speech theropy to get rid of the accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom