Why do we need 4mil dif engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion_AurA

Baseband Member
Alright, my point is simple.... why in the world do gaming companies waist sooo much money on new graphics engines... I mean, first you have the doom 3 engine than the source engine, crytek engine, and countless others like fear and bf2... I understand that it helps marketing "NEW ENGINE WE ARE BETTER!" type of deal but seriously... the bf2 engine is the most inefficient and worst looking engine out of all of those... I would def pay 40$ just to have to game based on a source engine. Anyways, I just felt like ranting and experesing how frustrating it is to constantly hear "Doom3 engine is what all games will use the next year!" and then have 1 game come out with it... Quake 4. I feel like its just wasted resources that could be spent making patches and supporting existing games. I think most of us would agree that we would much rather have the glitchs fixed in existing games than seeing a new graphics engine. Rant over.

Actually there arent that many engines out there. Most games use engines off of other games. But the biggest reason that most people make their own engine because the other engines dont have the capabilities that they need, and if the do chances are the graphics arent good enought for what they want to do. So they make a brand new one.

In my opinion battlefield 2 looks better than fear and CS. Fear has nice special effects and such, but the graphics itself aren't that great. CS has never facinated me though. It is very inefficient though, but that's because it's made by EA games really. My computer has froze like 5 times in the menu and never in the actual game which always maddens me why they had to make menu more complicated than the game itself.

Source w/HDR enabled is by far the absolutely best looking rendering out there...I agree that the non-HDR counterstrike maps are a tad bland but stuff like militia looks really really good

Mind you I haven't played oblivion yet so I can't comment on that...but seeing as how it's not a FPS it'd be hard to compare with source

gigabite where do you get the idea that cs was made by EA games? i thought it was made by someone else. o well i only play 1.6 cs

Umm, gaara Oblivion is first person shooter in a way, ur shooting arrows from a first person view.

Avalanch3 said:
Gigabite....have you played HL2:LC....that has really good graphics...better than BF2 i rekn

I only played Half life 2 demo, but with a geforce 2. So hl2 might have better graphics than bf2, but I know fear and CS don't.

Running said:
gigabite where do you get the idea that cs was made by EA games? i thought it was made by someone else. o well i only play 1.6 cs

No, I didn't say CS was made by Ea. Sorry bad choice of words. I was saying Bf2 was inefficient but that's not suprising as it's made by EA games' company. CS is made by Valve I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom