Wheee...Just beat Doom 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty dark and everything is in your face so fast it's hard to enjoy the graphics at times.

The only thing that I have not liked about the game thus far is what Kboy said. This game is really dark in most spots which makes it hard to enjoy the graphics at times. If they just used more of the amazing lighting that this engine can produce it would have made the game a little more enjoyable.

I found the gameplay to be a bit tedious. The storyline was cool but they could have taken it so much farther. I was hoping to actually see what the aliens looked like on Mars. I was getting real excited in the ancient ruins but that was short lived. The Hell level was just dumb. The game seemed a bit easy and short. I'd give it a 7.5.

Id Software has been struggling with the return of DOOM for some time. I'm not surprised that the game turned out the way it did. You can see the focusses of the development and where they had to sacrifice to get the title out. The number of gamers who are in the main buying market who remember the original DOOM are growing less, as less computers can run it and it is not on the shelf anymore. They needed to get this out before people lost sight of the origins (which can be fatal to a sequal game).

There's actually been a compiled history of artwork, code, and storyboarding for DOOM3 that extends back a good 5 years. Given that the original DOOM had its luster days at the beginning of the 90's, you can see how long its been. If your target market is teenagers, you can see how there can be so few who have actually played DOOM. Most were still toddlers when the craze was ebbing.

Still, now that the craze is back on (for now) I'm sure we can expect to see extended development of this game in the future. There will definately be work on an expansion, and we all know the gold/platinum/super editions are coming.

For now, the real question becomes how good is the game itself, in regards to coding, AI, modification, etc. A video game today cannot survive if there is not a sufficient fan following and hands-on interest after release. One reason Half-Life has survived so long is because of its incredible ability to be customized and formated to fit near-limitless ideas.

I found Doom 3 to be a great game. There are some tough critics out there but like many of you have said, this game definitely wins the gold on graphics. As far as a few of your game play concerns, I would purchase Doom and Doom 2 and try them out so you can get a feel on how this game is meant to be played. Doom 3 is a major improvement from earlier editions and still holds the same ideas that the originals had. Original Doom game play consisted of see monster, kill monster tactics. I found the story to be pretty good for the series and don't think I'm going to start comparing it to games like Half Life simply because Doom have stayed true to their original idea and have well exceeded my expectations. I give them props for this.

As far as lighting is concerned, I believe it is about right in my opinion and disserves a lot more than a lot of you are giving it. Imagine the Doom 3 plot as it would unfold in real life. A whole facility is overrun by demons and nobody is left to keep the power and security running. Do you really think under these circumstances that things like the lights and bathroom water would still be running? Didn't think so, it takes a staff of personnel to operate such machinery. If you were given the chance to visit Mars right now and walk down one of those corridors, I can guarantee it would be a dark place. Again, more props for realistic light rendering.

Overall, this game is great, I love the way the lighting is rendered. Even the flashlight astounded me when I first used it as it was the first in any game to actually function and have the environment react to it as we see real flashlights in real life. I think offering the player night vision goggles or guns with flashlights attached would have been a great idea but it would have taken away a lot of what makes this game scary. Anyways, my view on this game is that it's a step in the right direction, we need more games like this and I'm hoping they bring this type of environment to the RPG world someday. We die hard RPG fans need something realistic for a change. Definitely have to say Doom 3 disserves a 9.4 at least. Great game!

beedubaya said:
Wheee...I just beat Doom 3.

How many hours of play is Doom 3???

I think I am still barely scatched the surface of that game.

I loved the graphics on that game. It will be interesting to see what HL2 is going to be like. I am not holding my breath on the graphics for HL2 as that game WAS suppose to be out 2003, and not 2004. Special thanks to some one at Valve not backing up on a regulare basis ; followed by some one hacking into Valve's computers. They lost about 6 months worth of work there. (or atleast that what I heard)

breath on the graphics for HL2 as that game WAS suppose to be out 2003, and not 2004.

DOOM3 was supposed to be released alongside HL2, but they ran into a plague of problems during the process of doing the final builds. The story isn't secret.

The graphics of HL2 aren't going to be much better than UT2004 (which isn't bad, mind you). What is really going to be the eye-shocker is the lighting, volumetrics, and other special effects that will make the texture-based renders take a back seat.

HL2's AI and physics engine are hands-down twice as good as DOOM3's (and probably better). You'll be having to think about where to hide, because the AI's in HL2 aren't limited by sight and nodes anymore. The environment-awareness kicks ass.

Not to mention that out of the two (at least) Half-Life had a far better storyline than Doom ever had. The interaction is there.

:amazed: :rolleyes: :confused: :mad: :p

lol.. I remember my dad playing doom2 on the comp when i was about 7 years old.

I was hiding behind the sofa to cover my eyes and peaked out to see what was going on for sometimes, although i hid again.:eek:

I thought it was a really scary game with the bloody face at the botttom mid of the screen. :D

ShoobieRat said:
DOOM3 was supposed to be released alongside HL2, but they ran into a plague of problems during the process of doing the final builds. The story isn't secret.

Oh... I was not aware of that..... I take my comment back then.

ShoobieRat said:
Not to mention that out of the two (at least) Half-Life had a far better storyline than Doom ever had. The interaction is there.

Definatly.... Considering that I used Half Life as basis for a table top role play game using the ALTERNITY : DARK MATTER rules, DEFINATLY.
I think am more attrached to HL2 for the plot being behind it as appose drooling over the new graphics and everything.

As for DOOM III, the plot is some thing along the lines of the movie Event Horizon.
6305222916.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And even there, Event Horizon had more plot to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom