Whats so great about FEAR??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are using a 6800 Ultra and an X800 XT on Doom 3 on identical settings, you will get better performance with the 6800 Ultra. I guarantee you that.

Weird, and yet I feel the graphics are flawless for me in HL2 and not in Doom3....with my 6600gt..

dhw200 said:
If you are using a 6800 Ultra and an X800 XT on Doom 3 on identical settings, you will get better performance with the 6800 Ultra. I guarantee you that.

Well, with regards to Doom 3 then that's likely because the engine uses OpenGL features (fragment programs) that are on-par to the Shader Model 3.0 instruction set that, therefore, have better support with the 6800 series...

Whatever, my point was that Doom 3, or any other specific title was/is not 'optomised' (or God knows developed for) nVidia or ATI. If that was the case then a game would have specific features/quality modes that are only accesable with one brand of video card, i.e the "ATI quality mode" vs the "nVidia quality mode" :p.

@ vaderpro: As a rule of thumb, HL2 is less demanding in the GPU department than Doom 3. If anything, HL2 is more CPU demanding.

DoomUK said:

@ vaderpro: As a rule of thumb, HL2 is less demanding in the GPU department than Doom 3. If anything, HL2 is more CPU demanding.
..hl2 once cause my system to crash (overheated cpu) and ive never crashed playin doom3, so that makes sense.

HL2 kicked ass.
I love the story and the game play.

About the only thing I did not like was the HL2 Engine, and it's because it makes me want go throw up after about a few hours of play. This is a big improvement, as the orginal HL Engine make me buggy after about 15 minutes.

DOOM 3 was cool. However extremely repeative on the game play. After the first trip to hell, i just turn on god mode so I could finish the game. I was getting a little bored with the same monsters wanting to attack me with the same tactics every time.

I guess the reason why I am looking forward to FEAR over Q4 is that I the story. Doom 3's constant tunnel crawling and bot repeativeness bored me. And I can not really say that i have been impressed with any of ID software's BOT AI compaired to other gamer devs.
vaderpro said:
..hl2 once cause my system to crash (overheated cpu) and ive never crashed playin doom3, so that makes sense.
That funny..... (looking at sig), your specs shit all over mine, and the other problem i had was with DOOM III when I when to some of the open places in hell.

thinking back, i may have added the antec silver thermal paste after the crash and then i bought doom3...so bad analogy...

but i agree, i actually havent finished doom3 cause i got bored with it.....although i was thoroughly impressed....as well my heart couldnt take it anymore; too f'n scary esp with my kickass sound....

I just hope the actual FEAR game works better on my X800 Pro than the demo did. The demo barely ran, and I have to run at medium/low settings and no AA or AF. I guess its the fact that I have a 12 pipe card instead of a 16...but even still, 6600 GTs smash the X800 Pro in F.E.A.R.

i guess so, cause im runnin max res and mostly everything else max....but still not impressed with the graphics...

The demo barely ran, and I have to run at medium/low settings and no AA or AF. I guess its the fact that I have a 12 pipe card instead of a 16

That might explain it, I ran the demo at high settings mostly with a few medium ones and it ran good even with all my settings in the cat drivers tuned up to max quality. Notice I said good and not great, although it ran smoothly most of the time some areas like the lighted area in front of the car in the beginning had kind of a low fps. It looks like most of you guys don't like it, but I enjoyed the demo. Sure I get wasted by the super cyborg dude that comes through the door everytime I see him, but I am actually impressed by the graphics and gameplay. Although I guess its not hard to impress someone whos pc game collection is currently: Diablo II, Half Life, Counter Strike, and Halo. I know, not the most current games on the market but they are really great classics and come at bargain prices. I do plan on upgrading my collection though with Rome Total War, Doom III, Fable Lost Chapters(the original fable was had potential, but lacked a lot of content and was way too easy), Black and White 2, Half Life 2, and possibly even WoW.

i guess so, cause im runnin max res and mostly everything else max....but still not impressed with the graphics...
how exactly are you running completely maxed when my system is more than likely more powerful than yours and I don't even run it maxed...well, primarily I left soft shadows off but I believe I did 1024x768 (monitors max is 1280x1024) with high details and I THINK 2x AA, but it's been a while since I played so I forgot most of it and even then it'd get bogged down.

My AMD64 is running 2.5GHz, my RAM is running DDR500 speeds, 1gb of it at 2.5-3-3-7-1T timings and my 6800GT is at 440/1175........well snap, you know what, I was running at like 420/1130 or something because I played it on my nf3 system...well hell I actually probably need to replay it because it'd be smoother on this system since it's nf4 and all...but still it's a rather intensive game and I don't see the 6600GT being able to handle it completely maxed...and when you say max resolution is that 1280x1024 for you or 1600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom