Whats so great about FEAR??

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaderpro

Fully Optimized
SO ive tried out the FEAR game and cant figure out what all the excitement is about. I mean the intro seemed cool, but overall the game just seemed so familar...I didnt like the movability of the character and wasnt overly impressed with the graghics...to sum it up, I believe, HL2 has ruined my expectations of future games cause it was just so damn better than games like FEAR....just my opinion at this point.

Im now downloading COD2 at 619 kb/s, im sure ill like that more....

FEAR is way better than CoD2 that's for sure...CoD2 is slightly revamped graphics but EXACTLY the same gameplay.

I'm going to assume though that the FEAR demo will be nothing how the actual game will turn out to be...demos are generally quite shoddy and this one was as well..Don't know what you mean by the 'movability' of the character...seemed like any regular FPS to me....

as for HL2, it's graphics are getting outdated, and thus far FEAR is only showing a lot of inside building levels...don't know if it'll go into more open areas or what, but that's generally what makes HL2 seem so great....But you can't beat the awesome particle count in FEAR, that's what makes it exciting for me, is having a gun fight in an office with bull casings, sparks, dust, glass, all that crap flying through the air...and personally I'm a fan of the slow-mo like in max payne.

Basically we're going to have to see when it comes out, but, if it's a lot of closed environments that won't be good for FEAR, but honestly the graphics are pretty dang good although the people didn't necessarily seem that great.

Yup, we'll have to see until the retail game is released what Monolith have in store...

Assumingly the game's environment is set inside a large industrial complex (at night), so perhaps we'll see some cool outdoor areas alongside what we've already seen of the interior office maps. Word on the grapevine is that the whole game has roughly 20 hours worth of gameplay, about on par with HL2's length...

what is good about halflife 2, i haven't so any thing good about it, it's graphics is worser than farcry , doom 3 and new games that is going to be released like FEAR and cod2, and i think halflife 2 have the least excitement

Whats good about half life 2...well, let me thinkg...how about everything? The gameplay was great, the graphics were amazing, the voice acting was superb, and the presentation and atmosphere was great. There is really nothing not to like about HL2. Except the damn fires. they suck.

maroon1 said:
i think halflife 2 have the least excitement

Personally I thought HL2 was a sheer masterpiece in both design and gameplay flow, if a little short; but than that was only because I was begging for more at the end. A true modern classic. If you didn't find it exiting then you must literally fell asleep while playing Doom 3*.

As for HL2's graphics, sure the Source engine doesn't have RT lighting & shadowing a la Doom 3 and F.E.A.R., but honestly I didn't give a damn when I was playing it; the environments were stunningly crafted with maticulous detail. The only quarm was that the outdoor areas were a little static (trees & shrubbery were static models/materials, i.e had no movement scripting).

Worth noting that the sound quality was of the highest standard, too.

*Not to knock D3's delibrately linear gameplay, but there were points in the game that one wished that id would have elaborated on in one way or another; if only toss in a few classic Doom-style puzzles and secrets...

I did fall asleep while playing doom 3 lol. It felt like a carnival funhouse. a 1 trick pony in which u proceed along a linear path and monsters jump out of closets and portals at frequent intervals. Plsu it was so damn dark i couldnt see anything.

Hmm...i havnet played farcry yet....but HL2 graphics were way better than anything ive ever seen, even doom3....

IMO, FEAR is more of a tech-demo than anything else. Half Life 2 may have not been the most advanced engine on the planet, but it was surely the most convincing I've ever seen. Keep in mind that even the best engine technologically can suck if the levels aren't designed with suberb detail.

As for FEAR, it has to be the most inefficient engine I have ever seen. The graphics aren't that great, yet it pwns your system if you don't have an Nvidia 6600 GT or later. It really doesn't like ATI cards.

What I mean by "movability of the character", is just that. The charcter flows, turns and walks easily. It feels like the FEAR character has a limp or something, he kinda bounces up and down which is annoying...

Another question, why are max resolutions only 1280x960 on alot of games when lcd's iare best at 1280x1024? Maybe this is a factor for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom