What's the difference between "Gaming PCs" and others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confuzzled

Beta member
I've been pulling out my hair compairing different PCs and I'm utterly confused about what's what. I'm under the impression that HPs are built more towards photography and such? I dont really get it. Lol. Maybe that's why I'm confused? Anyways, to get to the bottom line...

Is there really a difference between Compaqs, VAIOs, HPs, eMachines, and whatever else is out there?

I've been asking a few questions about Integrated Graphics and such. I'm mainly getting answers about future upgrading needs, but I'm not that computer savvy to upgrade something myself. XD I'm not looking to spend a fortune either. I basically have an idea of what I need to get for my basic needs.

Basically what I'm really asking is:

Can I just buy any computer to play games? and What makes a difference between a gaming PC and other PCs?

most of the time, gaming PC's have higher quality video cards than other PC's.

You could find an HP Photo PC, with lots of RAM, and a chipset...or very low quality video card.

makes sense?

gaming comp = games w/ eye candy turned on and/or needing more frames per second = more real time 3d rendering = need powerful GPU + CPU(AMD is better at it at the moment)

none gaming comp = no games = no realtime 3d rendering = no need of good GPU or CPU (it depends, when u do lots of video editing, you need powerful CPU. intel is stilll better at this)

and gaming comp is usally custum built w/ over clockability. (unless you want to pay $10.000 for Dell renegade) non-gaming comp is usually pre-built like dell, sony, compaq, etc. it comes w/ weaker GPU and minimum RAM and no over clocking options. because the BIOS is locked by the manufacture.

Any recent computer that has either an AGP or PCI-E slot can be a gaming computer. Both slots allow for a decent graphics card.

Other things to consider... Is the PSU powerful enough to run a graphics card? Is the CPU fast enouhg to not bottleneck gameplay? Does the computer have enough RAM to play games properly?

Basically, you can forget using a Dell... or at least any of them that are advertised on TV, radio, or the web. Some HPs, Gateways, and eMachines can actually meet the requirements (except for maybe the PSU part if you go with a really power-hungry GPU).

gaming pc focus on mainly graphic card but also cpu and ram....... multimedia pc focus on mainly on cpu but also ram and hard drive space.

I suggest www.cyberpowerpc.com over a Dell or HP or anything like that. With cyberpowerpc you can get a custom PC built for you for a very reasonable price unlike the "gaming" PCs from Dell or other places that charge way to much and probably can't be overclocked.

The key elements that make a gaming PC are (as has been said) A powerful Graphics card (6600GT or better) #1
A decent CPU/chipset/RAM (athlons 64 or better really with minimum of 1GB medium quality RAM) #2
Assuming and LCD monitor It should be gaming Grade i.e. 8ms or better with a reputation for not ghosting #3.

With a non gaming PC you can go for a better quality LCD but slower (e.g. a 16MS PVA panel), DVDs and colours in gerneral will look better but Games will ghost like a ****. Also the Graphics card needs to be solid but far from cutting edge, a FX5200 or something. Powerful Processor + RAM are nice for a non gaming PC but rarely needed, most office applications + browser, Email, DVD Etc.. can run just fine on a PIII.

You know, if you just spent a day hard on learning about things like CPU's and GPU's on a basic level (like looking at lots of hardware reviews) you'd learn enough to be able to make your own gaming PC, saving a **** load of money over just buying a premade one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom