What is Vsync exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
I was just wondering what Vsync does since Universe at War has it on at the moment, it was off by default and graphics were at average so i turned them up to high detail and turned on Vsync. Should it be on or off?

Then also i'm not sure if anyone has actually played the game at all but is it wise to turn off the DirectX10 support, i have been told it doesn't look much better and Universe at War is really not optimized for it so it makes it laggy on the best of computers but smooth on DX9. Not sure the truth in that.

If you want more FPS (generally we all do...), turn the V-Sync off.
especially if you are still using CRT monitor.

Yes. Vsync prevents screen tearing (AKA image or page tearing) by disallowing frames to be merged from buffer to display, and making sure that only complete frames are displayed on the screen. It does this by synchronising frame updates with something called the vblank or Vertical Blanking Interval (the time delay between each frame).

so is it a good idea to have it on or better to risk some screen tearing but get more FPS? Tis an RTS game so i guess things don't move that fast.

I would disable vsync, unless you are experiencing severe screen tearing that's affecting your gaming experience (since the purpose of vsync is to alleviate this).

Screen tearing doesn't effect everyone. For example, I've had quite a few different CRT's and never had screen tearing, ever. Only use Vsync if you're actually getting screen tearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom