what is so great about Spore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I dont see why this game is so amazing to people. Can someone explain the game to me? I dont get it at all. why is it so popular?!

It's the first decent god sim they've released since populous, umpteen years ago. The whole concept of creating and guiding a creature from amoeba (sp?) till inter-planetary travel stage. Doing everything in-between. All the parts function differently, and the creation system is quite good.
It's different.

Spore will cover the entire landscape of sims. You start as a single-celled critter, eating and trying to not be eaten. As you get to whatever is required to "move up" you get to choose what you want to add, subtract, or change on your creature... you control its evolution. Your creature is not alone, but an entire race.

Once you have grown enough, you move on to land. The dynamics change with the landscape. As you progress, you begin to develop culture and civilization. you move into tribes, and then on toward villages, towns, and cities.

As your civilization matures, you develop technology. Other civilizations are around you, so you must defend or conquer or play the diplomat. You eventually develop space travel, and can go and visit the worlds of other players.

While all of this is going on, your creature is being used in everyone else's world. As you grow and evolve, your creature does the same everywhere else. the game is interactive in that the players share their creations through the game itself.

Nope there's no monthly fee. You can't actually go and play against your friends or anything. It's just passively updated content with other players created species and such.

Its extremely open ended, which strays away from the normal types of games, where the level guides you throught the game. Some people found open ended games very fun in that you can follow your own path, and make your own decisions, some people get confused, and find them boring because they give you that choice, instead of telling you what to do.

I've been waiting for thise game for 3 years now... Man I can't wait for it to launch.

I'm happy they had the sense to make it patently open-ended. Mission/scenario driven games of this type drive me nuts. Not sure if I'll get it, tho. I'll have to check out the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom