what should I upgrade first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

no root toe

Solid State Member
I bought Guild Wars for my laptop and I know I need to upgrade but I was wondering what I should upgrade first since my birthday is coming up. Here's the specs:
2.8 Ghz Celeron
64mb radeon igp 345m
192mb DDR ram (originally 256 but the graphics 64mb is shared)

So it's a toss between the ram or the processor, but which one should I upgrade first? As in which one will make the biggest difference in playing the game (frame rate).

And could you guys also recommend a processor for me, I wanna play Guild Wars and Couter Strike Source on my laptop and I dont care about our the video settings look, I could put them all on low, I just want to be able to play the games. And my price range in between $100 to $150, sorry if thats a little low. Thanks everyone.

Sorry to say, but I dont think you can upgrade your graphics

RAM is what I would upgrade :)

i knew i couldnt upgrade the graphics, im asking between processor and ram, and i heard that i should upgrade my processor first cause celeron chokes alot during games

no root toe said:
i knew i couldnt upgrade the graphics, im asking between processor and ram, and i heard that i should upgrade my processor first cause celeron chokes alot during games

but you don't even have enough ram to RUN guild war o_O

there's a difference between running bad, and not even being able to run :p

btw, i think your celeron will do fine in guild wars

Guild Wars runs acceptably on a P3, which is basically the same design as your current Celeron. And since your Cel is 2.6 ghz it should do a fine job running it. Pump your ram up to 512 and then see how it goes.

one thing it runs at 2.8 and i do have enough ram to run it and the celeron isnt fine, and i can run guild wars, when did i say i couldnt, but when alot of action starts the frame rate goes down, i think its the processor choking. but in general which one will have more of an impact in gaming, as in which should i upgrade first to make the most difference, the ram or the processor

You can upgrade your ram and expect an improvment. Your processor handles the data, but think of your ram as short term memory; when your playing a shooter your running through a lot of areas that require instant memory, that gets bumped into ram rather than stored. Grafix can take up a hell of a lot of space, hense the grafix card, It takes a load off the ram and cpu at the outset, your processor can work almost to its capacity, but go 2 percent beyond that, you will find every program you are currently running may freeze; sorry for the lengthly post.

exactly, im going to buy more ram and get a athlon 64 hopefully but i was just wondering which one i should get first cuz my birthday is coming up. and how well does a mobile athlon 64 1.8ghz work with gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom