What is the point in PC gaming at this point in the console life cycle?

I'm too entrenched in the PC ecosystem to go back to console gaming. Plus, I like having a machine that can do more than just play a game. When I'm gaming I usually have music going, maybe a TV show playing on another monitor, reddit / the games forums on another monitor, etc etc.

That and my two main genres simply work better on PCs.. MMO's and strategy games (4X and real time) :tongue:

That and my two main genres simply work better on PCs.. MMO's and strategy games (4X and real time) :tongue:

Yeah, MMO's are fun, but they make me feel bad about myself when I play them, and I simply don't have the time to play them right either.

Strategy games, well it's really too bad that there aren't too many of those being made. It used to be my favorite genre until they stopped making enough of them, and I could no longer find one I liked.

Its true that consoles are more powerful today, but they are still a closed system and they offer fewer options to the prospective game developer.

Pc has an advantage in technology still, and a wider field of games as well as volume; there is a more functional ui, better controls(yes a keyboard and mouse rocks in some of those shooters); Ill consider my pc for a console the day a port over is done ahahaha, never.

The problem with consoles would be profit margin. It costs Microsoft and Sony too much money to properly implement a hardware setup that is not only cool and quiet, but also powerful enough to compete in a few years time compared to PC.

But you know what, that's not really the issue IMO. The issue is when the game consoles went from being just a game box to doing everything. They essentially became low power PCs to go under your TV and be controlled by a controller. All the underlying features hog up power. SNES when it came out, N64, PS1, whatever when they came out had one thing to do and one thing only. Even back then compared to PCs they were exceptionally slow but still extremely fun. I think the idea of gaming is stronger than ever, but the purpose of it has pretty much lost meaning. The newer generation leading the pack with sales dictating what comes out is really pushing in the wrong generation. There is nothing wrong IMO with the progression of graphics, but when graphics takes precedent over fun factor is when you start having issues like what we're seeing.

Just my two cents anyways. And that's coming from somebody who loves the leading edge in graphics. But as of right now, I have more fun playing older games with better gameplay and the Wii U that to me is just fun.

Went to my gf's house and played cod ghosts on Xbox 360 on some 40+" TV. It was that moment when I realized that resolution is not just a number. I mean whats the point in Ferraris when volvos are out. They both get you to the same place right?

Personally, I prefer PC's for their frame rate and precise control. You just can't get as great of aim with a stick as a mouse. Then the UI, custom-ability in both hardware, software, and controls. All too good to pass up. It's more expensive to get started, but it's usually not too bad to keep up to date.

Definitely Think PC's are the go to platform for gaming, each component can be upgraded and this is something you don't get with consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone just responds as if question was generic pc vs console question. Of course.

Back
Top Bottom