What Have I Missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetlow_63

Baseband Member
I have recently purchased a new PC (E6600, x1950xtx, 2gb ddr-667 Ram) to replace my previous, 6 years old one (P4 1.8Ghz, Geforce 2 MX, 256mb RAM). For the last three or so years, I have been unable to play any games on my computer, with the exception of Half-Life 2, which ran very slowly and jerkily on the lowest settings.

Due to this I stopped looking at and reading about new games that were released, so now that I am looking to buy new games, I don't know where to start. Could you recommend me 4 or 5 games, any genre, of the last 3 or so years that I should buy? Which were the best games to come out in this time?

Battlefield 2 (its fun when it works)

Awesome game when played online. Not too bad single player.

Buy it, and download the 1.4 patch. They actually made a patch that fixes stuff instead of breaking stuff.

Great single player game. And you actually have a rig that can run it decently.

The past three years!?
Here is a very condensed list of great games that haven't been mentioned yet. A good number of these have hit the bargin bins by now so you should get plenty of bang for your buck.

The four I would definately go for are bolded. If you need a fifth definately get Oblivion.

RPG
Knights of the Old Republic I & II - excellent games
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines - buggy at times, but still a solid Vampire game

Shooter
FarCry - good shooter, Crysis is coming out soon from the same people so you might wait and just get that
Painkiller - unique weapons, lots of bad guys, no thinking involved just lots and lots of shooting
Call of Duty 2 - excellent sound and atmosphere

Racing
Need for Speed- Most Wanted - some very cool police chases

Strategy
Turn Based
Civilization IV - It's a Civ game, Need I say more?
Galactic Civilizations II - Good 4x space game with no inconvenient copy protection features

Real Time
Age of Empires III - Nice graphics
Black and White II - My Creature is trained to poo on innocent villager's heads

Simulation
The Movies

Third person
Lego Star Wars - try the demo first itÂ’s an either love or hate kind of thing.
Hitman: Blood Money - First Hitman game where your performance in missions affects later missions, they still have Jesper Kyd's excellent music
Prince of Persia Warrior Within - the prince gets really dark

Thanks for the Advice guys. Is Oblivion similar to Morrowind III, in that there is not really any structure to the game? or is there more of a plot/target?

Is Rome: Total War any good as well?

My opinion is that oblivion has a more structured story line than the elders scroll III. And is easier to follow. But saying that there are still all guild and heaps of other quests. Slightly fewer quests than Elderscroll III but you couldnt tell. Great game to play 9/10.

Well, battlefield is really good :) im an addict. Exept you will be downloading for a bit since the new patch. prolly 600MB or so. Anyways i still think u can play in ranked mode for 1.3 (patch version 1.3) and 1.4 so yeah... 1.3 has a wall glitch and EA stopped caring about stat padders and glitchers long ago so you are better off with 1.4 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom