What is a good framerate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShoobieRat said:
The human eye cannot distinguish frames faster than 14 frames a second (which is why all those animated films are done at 15 frames a second).

Really, the higher you go, the better, but there's both a practicle and a sensible limit.

I don't know what your talking about because Doom 3 runs at about that framerate on my system during intense times, and it is exceedingly annoying. I need at least 40 fps. I would prefer to be 60+.

As shoobie said, (don't know about 14) but the human eye can't distinguish beyond a certain point.....it's pretty stupid how you guys seem to think you're like 'uber human' or something "Oh I can tell between 70 and 71 FPS" because, ok you're basically calling scientific fact a liar....

and no it's not 'different for everyone'

"I can notice below 60FPS"

yeaaaaah that's why Doom3 is capped at 60FPS right? Then you're basically saying it's always choppy because chances are you're playing with 40-50fps which is completely smooth.

Not to mention like the fact that shoobies link pointed out movies are only 24FPS and are completely fluid to the human eye.

Beedub, read that link...games don't have the blur that movies have, so yes a higher framerate is needed to make it look fluid.

Anything above 40FPS is smooth to the human eye.....and unless one of you isn't human...that applies to everyone.

Totally agreed, once you reach a certain framerate you will not be able to distinguish the difference. I am absolutely positive if you played a game at 50FPS and 100FPS and were not aware of the framerate, you wouldn't mention any difference in choppiness.

I believe once you get under 30 FPS you might start to notice a bit of choppiness, but once you are over 40 there is no freaking difference. It's all about psychology, you think you can notice a difference when you actually know there is a difference, but if there was no way of outputing framerate anything above 30 would look exactly the same to you.

Noooo gaara I'm an uber nerd I can distinguish between 50 and 52 FPS I swear! Below 60 is choppy for me even though doom3 is generally always below 60 and seems smoothe I swear I can tell I difference :rolleyes:

LOL

Seriously, though, guys. Standard film movies are shot at 24fps. Animated films (like Finding Nemo, Toy Story, etc) are rendered at 15fps. They don't do these for no reason. Look it up.

Yeah but their different than a game for those reasons

But I can see a difference between 40 and 60, very small but it's their.

yeaaaaaah cause we got bionic eyes and all, years of science and research says otherwise but 16 year old DJ-Chris MUST be right, scientific fact is just a load of crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom