Warning: Crysis Warhead and Spore DRM concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampD

In Runtime
I'm sure many of you like myself have gotten Crysis Warhead ( legally I'm talking about ). Anyways if you don't already know theres a huge controversy over the EA publisher and them putting some serious DRM protection ( that can easily be bypassed if you download the game on torrents ), well anyways I'm talking about the legal copies. For the game of Spore the DRM protection limited the number of installs to like 5 machines, this wasn't a big deal for me, what WAS a big deal was that it installs a rootkit on your machine ( without telling you! which is illegal ) and that stays on your machine even after you uninstall the game ( so basically you need to reformat to get rid of it ). EA is apparently getting a class action lawsuit over this, and unfortunately they have done the same thing with Crysis Warhead. For those of you that don't know what a rootkit is ( go to wikipedia and search rootkit ) it basically spies on you and sends EA your information on what your doing etc etc and can even disable programs and cause other computer conflicts. Anyone know anything else about the rootkits that Crysis Warhead installs automatically and how to get rid of it or disable it possibly? Its really ironic that the downloaded copies of the game don't have the DRM rootkits but the legal retail versions of the game do...big controversy indeed

EA sued over Spore DRM - News at GameSpot

read for more info

nice post bro! Good find for sure, we're getting closer and closer to the point where microsoft will be the only software company allowed legally to do this. I'm sure it's going to happen somehow, something, will be monitoring us. Our ISP's already do this job in a crappy manor, and torrents have sites that track people, etc..

The coming years will make things harder and harder, but as always, there will be work arounds =)

Hate to say this, but that's EA for you. I can't stand them and refuse to buy their games. There's no way they will get away with this stuff for long. If they do keep it up then people won't buy their PC games and they will become strictly console.

This is why I don't buy games. :)

ooo harsh dude, i suppose u mean DRM games?

i already got Crysis Warhead even though it has DRM. I'm fine with it because u can install the game on 5 PCs, reinstall as many times as you want. Spore is different story.

Just torrent the mofo.

QFT. That's what I did with spore. I torrented it, installed that copy, but used a retail CD key. Voila, no DRM, but still a legal version.

Already borrowed Warhead from Mr. Torrence, and am playing that now.

You dont even need the whole game, just buy the game and acquire the securom crack through torrents. Sure its a crack but they shouldint have came out with the securom crap in the first place.

QFT. That's what I did with spore. I torrented it, installed that copy, but used a retail CD key. Voila, no DRM, but still a legal version.

Already borrowed Warhead from Mr. Torrence, and am playing that now.
yea...that's a good workaround. I got the [il]legit version of Crysis Warhead and it still installed some SecuROM crap on my PC.

Itl still install securom, but you just grab the paul.dll file and drop it into the bin32 folder, which disables the securom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom