warez morality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is acually ok to dl warez IF you can't afford to buy these $50 games all the time. I pretty much have the same argument as other warez users but I don't download warez(all games that run on my computer cost $5 new :/). You wouldn't be buying the game even if you didn't dl it because you can't afford it so what's the difference if you get it for free?

People say it's like stealing a car or something but really it's not. If you steal a car, people lose money while you get something for free. The owner of the car has lost 20,000 or whatever his car cost or the dealership has lost the cost of the car. With a game however, it's just software. You're not stealing anyones acual copy, you're just getting a copy of it basically out of thin air. Nobody is losing money out of the deal. The developers aren't losing your money because you would never buy the game anyway because you don't have the money for such expensive games.

So I do think it's ok to download if you can't afford it but I still agree that it should be illegal because who would do the right thing and buy the game if it where legal to get if for free. Making it illegal insures that all the n00bs with their alienware PC's will still shell out $200+ a month on games. There will always be people who have the money for games but use warez anyway but that is life.

That works 'till everyone thinks that way...then say g'bye to the gaming industry! ...that'd never happen...or it had better not!:)

october was an expensive month :p

you got FEAR, Quake4, CoD2 and then Battlefront 2 came out at the beginning of november....theres $200 in games right there for what maybe 30-40 hours of entertainment......harsh price/entertainment ratio

Of course $20+ for a DVD which is around 2 hours is even worse

I do the demo thing a lot,I usually buy the game if I have the money if I enjoyed the demo. Once in a while I will download them, its unethical, and it will hurt the industry, one of the few times I didn't feel guilty was after reading all the opinions of dungeon lords, I figured I'd be motivated to delete that one after a short time, and after playing some, I did.

Xula said:
That works 'till everyone thinks that way...then say g'bye to the gaming industry! ...that'd never happen...or it had better not!:)

that is basically the free rider problem taken to the absurd. in the end because of the cycle of less ppl pay therefore it gets more expensive so less ppl pay etc. we will get no market. games will cost $500 a pop and no one will buy them (this is of course theoretical)

however a good thing may come out of this whole piracy thing. however there is one condition:
-HILLARY CLINTON DOESNT BECOME PRESIDENT
computer games may become public goods. this basically means that they are dished out by the government for free (payed for through taxation of course). now isnt that an idea?

chickenNcheese said:
computer games may become public goods. this basically means that they are dished out by the government for free (payed for through taxation of course). now isnt that an idea?
wtf are you on about?? so you're saying they might raise taxes so everyone can have free computer games? yeah......

chickenNcheese said:
-HILLARY CLINTON DOESNT BECOME PRESIDENT

I will download nocd cracks sometimes, but thats because of the annoying protection software that seems to have a problem with drive emulators. For example, I have the retail version (BOUGHT) of painkiller that wouldn't work because of Nero, even after uninstalling it Nero it wouldn't work. Now yes, I could of gone through all the registry editing to remove the virtual drive key entries and what not that are left behind, or could of just downloaded the no cd crack. I took the eaier route of no cd hack. I have the legal copy, but an illegal no cd key. I'm not angry at the game companies for the anti theft measures, though as they have to find someway to protect there property.

You definately get to see what people are about in this thread, i.e. cheap, immoral, dumb, selfish, etc. If you have a computer that can play the game you should be able to afford it. If you have the highspeed internet to play games you should be able to afford it. If you can't afford the many good titles that have been put out lately, you buy just ONE or TWO. Deliver more papers or mow some laws, kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom