Want to build a gaming PC

Yes- go to u-tube, people have made videos showing how to make you own PC- I have made 3-4 now- and I am over 50 and no tech training what -so-ever. If i can do it- anybody can. Almost every higher end GPU ( video card) will have HDMI out - some will have a mini or a micro HDMI so you will have to get the proper adapter to make it a regular sized HDMI or a cord that will have the proper connections on each side to connect tot he GPU and the monitor.

Yes- go to u-tube, people have made videos showing how to make you own PC- I have made 3-4 now- and I am over 50 and no tech training what -so-ever. If i can do it- anybody can. Almost every higher end GPU ( video card) will have HDMI out - some will have a mini or a micro HDMI so you will have to get the proper adapter to make it a regular sized HDMI or a cord that will have the proper connections on each side to connect tot he GPU and the monitor.

this is the first computer I have made... anyway if you get graphics card around 200$ you will most likely get a mini HDMI to HDMI converter in your box if you get Nvidia. I got my graphics card then went and bought a micro HDMI, but a week later I was looking at the box and the manual fell out, so i pulled everything out of the case, as it turns out with the manual was a hdmi converter...

THE BEST ADVICE YOU WILL GET WHEN TRYING TO MAKE A COMPUTER!
BUY ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely no reason to get an AMD CPU for a gaming build unless you can get one used cheap.

Dont feel bad Joane* hes not talking to you...

really you say AMD is that bad? your cpu doesnt make a huge difference for most gaming, and for the price this thing is good! don't you think? $99 and overcloakable.
WHY SO MUCH HATE! its not that bad when you have a low budget, and its only makes like a 5fps difference on most games

*my CPU name I just made up. yes, it has feelings.

Dont feel bad Joane* hes not talking to you...

really you say AMD is that bad? your cpu doesnt make a huge difference for most gaming, and for the price this thing is good! don't you think? $99 and overcloakable.
WHY SO MUCH HATE! its not that bad when you have a low budget, and its only makes like a 5fps difference on most games

*my CPU name I just made up. yes, it has feelings.
Pretty OT, but in case OP is hanging around and curious this is why.

Sure, the 99 dollar 965 on Newegg is great as Bregadon (if he still visits) will agree with. You get a nice 990FX or 970 board and you're set BUT for 129 you can get an IB i3 which in games and single threaded apps eat the AMD alive. Any board you get for that CPU you can later on (after Haswell release) cheaply upgrade to a 3570k or i5 variant which will outperform your upgrade options for AMD. Here is the kicker, for less than even the 965 you can get the Pentium G2120 and it will still perform better in most all games and still have that same upgrade path. My recommendations for gaming builds always have the future and present set in mind. For gaming builds it is simply better to go with Intel because even the cheap choices are fantastic. Better yet, Intel is going to release their Celeron IB based CPU any day now which will be a 40 dollar budget monster in all reality. Great for somebody to get started, slap a good GPU in there, and when they save up a few more bucks upgrade to something like the i5 3330 without too much "wasted" money on the lesser CPU.

I avoid things like the APUs because their upgrade options are very limited, and I'm not a fan of them. People will get them, think the IGP is good enough, and then complain about performance later. The going theory for most is the Intel IGPs can't do ****, better get a GPU. No troubleshooting or flame bait wars later.

Feel me? I basically say the same thing in my article. Games are held back to single threaded performance and only the odd ball RTS uses more than 2 cores max. Usually "quad support" means Windows does a fine job at load balancing the background BS across all 4 cores. The actual game itself is probably stuck between 25-50% which is still 2 cores. Not to mention, 965 is EOL IIRC so stock will eventually run out.

Pretty OT, but in case OP is hanging around and curious this is why.

Sure, the 99 dollar 965 on Newegg is great as Bregadon (if he still visits) will agree with. You get a nice 990FX or 970 board and you're set BUT for 129 you can get an IB i3 which in games and single threaded apps eat the AMD alive. Any board you get for that CPU you can later on (after Haswell release) cheaply upgrade to a 3570k or i5 variant which will outperform your upgrade options for AMD. Here is the kicker, for less than even the 965 you can get the Pentium G2120 and it will still perform better in most all games and still have that same upgrade path. My recommendations for gaming builds always have the future and present set in mind. For gaming builds it is simply better to go with Intel because even the cheap choices are fantastic. Better yet, Intel is going to release their Celeron IB based CPU any day now which will be a 40 dollar budget monster in all reality. Great for somebody to get started, slap a good GPU in there, and when they save up a few more bucks upgrade to something like the i5 3330 without too much "wasted" money on the lesser CPU.

I avoid things like the APUs because their upgrade options are very limited, and I'm not a fan of them. People will get them, think the IGP is good enough, and then complain about performance later. The going theory for most is the Intel IGPs can't do ****, better get a GPU. No troubleshooting or flame bait wars later.

Feel me? I basically say the same thing in my article. Games are held back to single threaded performance and only the odd ball RTS uses more than 2 cores max. Usually "quad support" means Windows does a fine job at load balancing the background BS across all 4 cores. The actual game itself is probably stuck between 25-50% which is still 2 cores. Not to mention, 965 is EOL IIRC so stock will eventually run out.

i hate when games are like "quad core support" when it only uses about %50 of my 4 cores... so it doesn't make much of a difference.... i should have gotten that $130 intel seeing as i ended up spending 130$ on the cpu + $30 cooler... o well i didnt have the money at the time( well I did but i thought this was a good processor and i knew it would be way better to just get a better gpu with the money)

i hate when games are like "quad core support" when it only uses about %50 of my 4 cores... so it doesn't make much of a difference.... i should have gotten that $130 intel seeing as i ended up spending 130$ on the cpu + $30 cooler... o well i didnt have the money at the time( well I did but i thought this was a good processor and i knew it would be way better to just get a better gpu with the money)
No harm in having the 965. It's still a strong processor.

Back
Top Bottom