Vista Ultimate + Left 4 Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm not sure what to blame here, but Vista started acting up today. It ran incredibly slow and started to bog way down, which confused me cause I really only use Vista when I'm gaming. I rebooted and got Error 22 on my grub boot loader, because I dual boot Ubuntu/Vista. I thought at this point my main hard drive had failed, so I rebooted again... now I can boot. Weird. Okay fine, so I boot to Vista, where it again acts slow.

Now, on Left 4 Dead, when I hit Play Campaign - Quick Match, it just does nothing and goes back to the main game screen where I can choose what I want to do. I'm not sure what to do at this point, because I have had weird issues with Vista, yet I know L4D has had some strange things happen with their servers in the short time I played.

Anybody know the remedy for this issue?

Do a clean boot.

I <3 clean boots. Also try reinstalling steam, but be careful to cut/paste your Steam Apps folder to a safe location so you don't loose all your games.

EDIT a greater definition of "slow" would be helpful. Check the temps on your CPU for example.

I know nothing is wrong with my system because I use Ubuntu extensively with no issues whatsoever.

I know it's either with Vista itself because I ran XP Pro for a long time with L4D with no issues, or something happened to Steam/L4D with an update or something of that nature.

Gahhhhhhhhhh.

Do a clean boot. That'll eliminate all the extra programs that the system does not need. If you're experiencing slowness (in the OS) that's either a program maxing some hardware out, or over-heating.

If you're sure the problem is now isolated to L4D and/or steam then reinstall if you have to, but first check the game cache and the fragmentation. Both options are found when you right-click on the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom