video card problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have Windows XP Pro SP3 on one of my old rigs that my friend uses in a LAN party playing Warcraft. Almost every game, there are occasions in which his screen turns completely black. He has to alt-tab out of Warcraft 3 to bring the video back up and running. I assume it has something to do with the video card.

I updated the 9200 LE Radeon to the newest 8.5 catalyst software but it won't let me finish the install because its not supported by my video card. I downloaded the old 6.11 9200 Radeon catalyst software and it says it doesn't support this Windows Version. I assume because its SP3.

I am highly considering downgrading to SP2 to get the latest software for the 9200 LE (which is 6.11) but is there a way to stop the screen from going blank?

Cliff Notes
- Comp Specs: P4 2.8 ghz HT, 1gb pc-2700 ram, 9200 Radeon 128mb
- I never had to install any video card from clean XP install
- XP comes with its own video card for the 9200 card
- displays desktop pretty well at 32-bit coloring
- can play wc3 smoothly and fine
- Computer screen turns black in the middle of playin warcraft 3 game
- must alt tab out of wc3 in order to get screen working again
- Installed newest 8.5 catalyst software in AMD website, but no success as it says it doesn't support video card
- Went to AMD website again to find the 9200 software and downloaded it (its 6.11)
- Installed in computer, everything seems to go fine
- tell me to restart computer
- restarted computer and screen is all cheezy in 4/8-bit color mode
- it tells me that the operating system version is not support (assuming its SP3 fault)
-

It sounds less like a driver problem and more like a game problem. The same thing happened to me when using a Radeon 9250. I tried several drivers and none changed anything. I would rollback to SP2 and then reinstall SP3 when the driver installs properly.

rolled back to SP2 and installed the 6.5 drivers using Radeon and still having the problem.

Any diagnostics I can run to pinpoint the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom