video card on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElwoodBlues

Beta member
I just bought an Asus desktop. I think it is the Essentials (?) model. It is the Core 2, 2.5 quad model if that helps. I am not a computer person, but only because I know so little about them.

I need a video card and don't have a lot of money to spend on it. I have read reviews on the HD4770 and the GTS 250. Both seem to fit the bill.
Can someone please enlighten me on how to make a wise choice?
All suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

You need to specify the exact Model Number. Some of them have a slot for a video card and some don't. They also have different size power supplies and video cards have specific power requirements.

Asus CG5270

Is there a better card for the money than the HD4770?
I have a new system:
Asus CG5270

I am looking for a good budget game card.

Re: HD4770

Yes, there are better cards. How much money are you talking about here?

OK, your PC does have a PCI-E x16 slot, this is good. But your PC only has a 400 watt power supply and both the GTS 250 and the HD4770 require a minimun of a 450 watt power supply.

So you can either get a slower card like a HD4670 or you can buy a bigger power supply to support the faster cards.

This is a decent power supply for the price, but it only matching the minimun requirements.
Newegg.com - FSP Group SAGA+ 450R 450W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

This one has a little more power but it costs a little more also.
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

Go with the vernong card. It is by far the best deal. I wish Nvidia didn't suck so bad and keeping their costs down. You pretty much have to buy ATI. Before HD 5000 cards came out, you could buy 285s and 295s if you wanted cards in those performance areas because the radeon cards did not exist in them, but anywhere they do exist, they always win.

Go with the vernong card. It is by far the best deal. I wish Nvidia didn't suck so bad and keeping their costs down. You pretty much have to buy ATI. Before HD 5000 cards came out, you could buy 285s and 295s if you wanted cards in those performance areas because the radeon cards did not exist in them, but anywhere they do exist, they always win.

That HD 4850 is definitely beast for the price and I'm highly considering ordering one like right now.

nVIdia loses in price wars because I think they do low yields with big die sized cards, take the GTS 250 for example, it's slower in comparison to the HD 4850 (slightly) but is $10 more than the HD 4850.
Newegg.com - GTS 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom